2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Is the fuel pump going?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 12:11 PM
Boopappa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is the fuel pump going?

A couple of nights ago, I tried to start my (2002 4dr 4x4) Blazer and it would not start. It cranked and cranked but would not fire up. SO I turned the key over and lisetend for the fuel pump and did not hear anything. I tried this a total of 5-6 times before giving up and never heard the fuel pump kick on. I then went to get something to eat (wifes car) and came home about 2 hours later and thought "one more time", I turned the key on and heard the fuel pump whine, then it turned over a couple of times hesitating but started up. It has been getting a little harder for the past month or so to start, it would usually take 2 cranks to fire instead of one.

I drove it today about 20 miles and it ran decent, I heard the fuels pump each time I started it and while it was running. I bought a Delphi fuel pump ($369) so Im hoping that it is OK, so I can return it and get some money back. I did replace the fuel filter yesterday, with a masterpro filter.

Any thoughts other than it is getting weak and will eventually go, because this is all I have came up with.

Thanks, Jimmy

Old 08-16-2009, 03:38 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

96+ Fuel System Diagnosis. Let us know what you find.

Old 08-17-2009, 11:52 AM

Not real sure I found what I was looking for, but thanks for replying with help. My Blazer has been driven about 50 miles since the incident first occured so I am going to assume its ok, and take the pump back. I can hear the fuel pump running, and its not spitting and sputtering so I guess Im good to go, thanks.

Old 08-17-2009, 12:40 PM
Big Keith is on a distinguished road

My 98 did the same thing I hit the gas tank with my maglite & it came on but got load it worked for 8 months before it went out. It has been my experiences they give you warnings before they go out & that sounds like one of them. Good luck

Old 08-17-2009, 11:21 PM
Starting Member
midnightmekanik is on a distinguished road

Yeah if you already have the pump, why not just change it now and avoid the truck leaving you on the side of the road when it does go? Check the fuel pressure to see if it's getting weak. Even if the fuel filter change you did remedied it, a plugged filter could have already done it's damage to the pump, and the inevitable is on it's way...

Old 08-18-2009, 01:42 AM

Thanks all.... I have thought about changing for future purposes, but almost $400.00 is a large chunk of money to replace something that may not be the issue. I checked my fuel pressure and it read 55 when I first turn the key on, then a steady 55 until I hit the gas, then it reads 60 and drops back down to idle at 55. I have drove it about 100 miles since the vehicle first acted up and it seems to be doing fine. Usually they will give you a pre-warning and Im sure this is it, so I might keep the pump and switch it this weekend. I just didnt want to change it and it be something stupid like a relay or FPR, that caused the pump not to come on, and throw $400 into it when it would only cost like $60.

Im sure 70% of the members here feel the same way I do, money is pretty tight and hard to let go unless you need to. You are right though, I have the pump and it is not fun to have to wait for a tow truck at 3 a.m. on a highway in the middle of no where, so..... I guess I will change it and hope for the best. Hopefully it is the pump and all will be well after I change it.

My mustang was acting up one day, I pulled into my driveway (thank god) and turned the car off, ran into the house to get something, came back out and it wouldnt start. I cranked away, listened for the pump, nothiong. Then like 2 days later I treied to start it, I heared the pump priming but it would not stop priming. I tried to start it and nothing. I called a few places, no one had a clue. I then put it in the garage and took the tank off, I changed the pump (brand new 155lph holley pump), put it all back together like an idiot, tried to start it, priming non-stop and wouldnt. Took it all back apart, tried a few more times, replaced the assembly twice thinking the wires might be bad. Long story short, a year later after tearing the car all to peices and trying everything, I went to a muscle car shop, 2 hours later he called and told me the com puter went bad. BRILLIANT I never even though of that, so in 2 days I had the car back running like champ.

I just hope that this isnt going to be another long process, the mustang is a toy, but the Blazer gets me everywhere I need to go (ecspecially in the snow).

Once again, if anyone has any ideas of why the pump would work one day and not the next and then work fine, by all means please share, I am open to all suggestions.

Thanks again guys....

Old 08-23-2009, 08:58 PM
Beginning Member
Nicholas_29 is an unknown quantity at this point

if ur worried bout money goto directAuto.com and get a pump there for 50 bucks. its new. just swap the pumps and use ur original sending unit. thats what i did and my probs disapeared.