2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Fuel pump issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2004, 10:29 PM
teal is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Fuel pump issues

Hi...I'm new to the site...I have a l996 4.3 liter Vortec Blazer that I am devoted to...just turned over l00,000 miles..I am having some sort of fuel system issues....I was having an intermittant problem with starting the vehicle....had a new fuel pump installed, only to have to tow it back to the mechanic...anybody out there that can shed light on the subject for me....??? Could it be fuel injector or relay switch related.....HELP! I LOVE my Blazer!!!!!!!!! Cindy

Old 09-08-2004, 03:37 AM
78K5SittinTall is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Fuel pump issues

I had an 02' ZR2 pickup and I had intermittent problems last winter starting it. It would crank fine, but show no signs of life. I had it towed to the dealer, they checked it out and said the fuel pump was bad and R2'd it. 2 days later, same problem. Had it towed back again. This time dealer had it for 1 week trying to duplicate my no-start condition. Turned out to be a bad ignition switch. Might wanna have your ignition switch looked at, because it is in the loop. I don't know exactly what was wrong with the switch, but now I know it can cause a crank, but no-start problem. Never had a start problem after that.

Old 09-08-2004, 12:49 PM

WOW! I thought of the ignition switch a while ago...but at the time I had it towed....the fuel pump pressure was 41. I installed new spark plug wires also... Sadly, my mechanic is on vacation for a week, and I have time for some research since I am currently BLAZER-less. Thanks....Cindy

Old 09-09-2004, 05:22 AM

My fuel pressure was low when the dealer checked it 1st thing just like your's. That's what drove them to change the pump. We all thought we had a good fix. I'm not saying it's definately your switch, but it sure was my problem. Hope this helps you.

Old 09-09-2004, 12:23 PM

I am going to have my mechanic check the feed lines to the injector at the intake manifold. It could be cracked. The hint for that could be when I try to start it, it took about six tries (fuel pump pressure building)...then it chugged....I have heard cracked intake hoses are an eventual problem with the Vortec....I am also going to have the ignition switch checked. I could have two problems...that would be my luck...but once I get this straightened out, I will be happy to have my ride back. Thanks for your input...

Old 09-10-2004, 07:41 PM

New on the Blazer front.....the mechanic can't find a thing wrong with it....after running all sorts of diagnostics on it.....he said it could be the security system...I have a key that may not be making contact...the car will not start if the key is not in the slot. He is keeping it over the weekend to run more tests....let the beatings continue until morale improves!!

Old 09-13-2004, 01:25 PM

I believe that is exactly what was wrong with my ignition switch. Something to do with it not making full contact.

Old 09-13-2004, 04:24 PM

yikes...the mechanic can't find a thing wrong with the Blazer...although he did say the "check engine" light came on over the weekend. I would just like to know if it is an electrical glitch or a fuel system issue.....the search continues. He said the ignition switch was OK.....but I wonder if he even checked it. Maybe I need a new mechanic.....

Old 09-14-2004, 05:26 PM

My truck's check eng light never came on through the whole ordeal. Your problem is slightly different. If the check engine light came on, even for a second, then the computer had to kick out a fault code. Did your mechanic tell you what it was? If not then you might consider a new mechanic, might be playing around with you. That code or codes would be the best source of info for finding out what is wrong. It would narrow the search. Let us know what you do.