2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Fuel Pump Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 01:20 PM
ComputerNerdBD is on a distinguished road
Default Fuel Pump Replacement

Hi, is there a How-to with photos online somewhere on how to change out a fuel pump with the fuel gauge sending unit? My gas gauge is going bad and I may just change out the pump at the end of the summer to prevent any future problems since I know that these like to suddenly fail after 100k and I am hoping to do it myself. My truck has a plastic gas tank and I already know I am going to need to get new fuel straps because the bolt is bent on one of them. Should I also be looking at a new tank?

I was looking at either this: http://www.autozone.com/autozone/cat...&parentId=49-0
<<< Fuel pump with tank and straps

Or this (only the fuel pump): http://www.autozone.com/autozone/cat...&parentId=49-0

Thanks for any advice.

Old 03-31-2010, 01:22 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Get an AC Delco pump if you are thinking of replacing the pump!

The plastic tank will last a long time. If it isn't broke, don't fix it.

If the lock ring is corroded badly at the top, you may need a new one of them (dealer?).

But you can replace just the fuel level sensor.

Old 03-31-2010, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Get an AC Delco pump if you are thinking of replacing the pump!

The plastic tank will last a long time. If it isn't broke, don't fix it.

If the lock ring is corroded badly at the top, you may need a new one of them (dealer?).

But you can replace just the fuel level sensor.

Isn't the fuel level sensor and the fuel pump one part? And doesn't the locking ring come with the part? Also why do aftermarket pumps come with a wiring harness? Isn't it just "plug n' play"?

Old 03-31-2010, 01:31 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

No, the sensor can be replaced independently.

No, the new pump does not come with a new lock ring. I just went through this with a friends '00 Bravada.

And a lot of pumps come with a new wiring harness because the plug was revised at some point along the way to cut down on the problems with overheating the connections at the plug..

Old 03-31-2010, 01:32 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AC-De...ht_2311wt_1165

AC Delco? Like this one?

No, the sensor can be replaced independently.

No, the new pump does not come with a new lock ring. I just went through this with a friends '00 Bravada.

And a lot of pumps come with a new wiring harness because the plug was revised at some point along the way to cut down on the problems with overheating the connections at the plug..
Also with the wiring harness, is replacing it along with the pump required in order to replace the pump or will the old plug fit? I am not too good at wiring and I am afraid I might screw it up and have to have the truck towed to a shop.

Last edited by swartlkk; 03-31-2010 at 01:41 PM. Reason: *Combining Consecutive Posts* - Please use the EDIT feature to include additional information in your post if another member has not yet replied.
Old 03-31-2010, 01:40 PM
Administrator

That would be for a 2dr.

Check out RockAuto.com or go directly to ACDelco.com and get the PN's from there. You can also locate a retailer that is close to you to purchase the parts from.

For a 4dr with the 18gallon tank:
  • SK1186 is the fuel level sending unit kit
  • MU1733 is the fuel pump assembly complete with sending unit.
If it comes with a harness, but your current plug looks good and fits, you can reuse it. I would replace it though, but that is completely up to you.

Old 03-31-2010, 01:47 PM

Thanks alot.
Are there any special tools required and is it an easy enough job to do for someone who has never done anything like it before?

Also do the new pumps use more power by any chance? Is that the reason why the harness is included? AFAIK, my current pump is running fine (for now).

Last edited by ComputerNerdBD; 03-31-2010 at 01:50 PM.
Old 03-31-2010, 03:46 PM
Administrator

There really aren't special tools required. It can be a pain to get the fill/vent hoses off at the back of the tank (friend ended up cutting them off, but they are $$$). Don't forget to disconnect the vent line at the very front of the tank, the fitting can get brittle and will crack easily if stressed.

Beyond that, have a floor jack or two handy to support the tank on. Loosen the straps and drop it down far enough to get at the lines on top.

The new pumps shouldn't draw more power.

Old 04-06-2010, 07:26 PM

There really aren't special tools required. It can be a pain to get the fill/vent hoses off at the back of the tank (friend ended up cutting them off, but they are $$$). Don't forget to disconnect the vent line at the very front of the tank, the fitting can get brittle and will crack easily if stressed.

Beyond that, have a floor jack or two handy to support the tank on. Loosen the straps and drop it down far enough to get at the lines on top.

The new pumps shouldn't draw more power.
Also why is it important to use an AC Delco pump? Except for the 2 instances when after I bought the car there were problems with the 4wd, trans and the tccm and the truck was at a dealership, I have not used ANY GM PARTS in this truck (except for computer modules which I could not get aftermarket and had to get off ebay which were salvage items, like the cruise control module). I have only used good aftermarket parts that are equal or better quality to GM. What is wrong with that fuel pump/straps/tank combo that Autozone sells for this truck? I am just curious because I always research everything before any repair or modification to the truck.

Old 04-06-2010, 10:37 PM
Starting Member
95Jimmy is on a distinguished road

Because the Delco/Delphi pumps last longer. In my experience Airtex lasted 6 months, Bosch (lifetime warranty no less) lasted 2 days, Delphi pump still going strong. There's no need to buy a new tank if it's not leaking and I would take drop the tank and inspect the straps before I bought new ones. It could have just not been installed properly or just needs to be tightened. Replacing the pump is easy to do just kind of a PITA.

Last edited by 95Jimmy; 04-06-2010 at 10:40 PM.

Quick Reply: Fuel Pump Replacement