2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Fuel Pump Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 01:42 PM
ComputerNerdBD is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by BlazerGuy2001
as far as i know its on the bottom of the pump, costs a few bucks for a new one
Ok Thanks. Just trying to understand this before I actually do it when the time comes.

Originally Posted by BlazerGuy2001
Hey I just replaced my fuel filter yesterday and I'm only sixteen so I wouldn't worry too much, just make sure you have a friend to help, you won't regret it later...mine had a Bosch in it from the previous owner and I had the warrenty so I just got another one, if you have a fuel tank shield you need to take that off first, then get your straps off however necessary, make sure you don't forget about the filler and vent hoses on the side...overall it took me a few hours to do so not too bad, btw a lock ring tool can be pretty useful for getting it back on, if you have anymore questions feel free to ask!

Goodluck!
-Derek
Bosch are obviosly also pumps to avoid? You are the second one to say that they are bad. So I'll just have to look on ebay for a Delco Pump then. Also what is this "lock ring tool"? Thanks

Last edited by swartlkk; 05-09-2010 at 07:37 AM. Reason: *Combining Consective Posts* - Please use the EDIT feature to add information to your post if another member has yet to reply. If replying to multiple people, please use the multi-quote feature.
Old 04-07-2010, 01:53 PM
BlazerGuy2001 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by ComputerNerdBD
Bosch are obviosly also pumps to avoid? You are the second one to say that they are bad. So I'll just have to look on ebay for a Delco Pump then. Also what is this "lock ring tool"? Thanks
im not sure you need to avoid bosch's i believe mine was an issue with the original install, but i could be wrong

as for the lock ring tool, they are better known as snap ring pliers, i called them by the wrong name earlier. here is a picture of what they look like...

What you do is insert each prong into each of the holes on the snap ring (picture shown below) and squeeze so that you can get it on...it is not necessary but helpful!

hope this helps!
-Derek

Old 04-07-2010, 02:30 PM
Gimpy Blazer is on a distinguished road

Probably depends on what year you have as to what lock ring is installed. Some you just kind of unscrew with a screwdriver or small punch. They have tabs that stick up and you just tap it lefty loosey to unscrew it. When you go back, make sure eberything is in position and then it's righty tighty. Always put a new "O" ring in. A little Vaseline on it makes things go easier. It's about 3" in diameter an worth the extra few cents they cost. I put a Delphi in mine but am not really that picky about manufacturers. If I have bad results with one however I'll try another the next time. One other thing is to remove the left rear tire/wheel. You'll be glad you did. You can actually reach in there with it removed.

Old 04-07-2010, 11:02 PM
Starting Member
95Jimmy is on a distinguished road

My truck doesn't have the snap rings- just the lock ring you tap around to lock in place. Doing it for the 1st time I'd just say take your time, drive it around (or siphon it) to get as much fuel out of the tank as possible, and someone to help hold the tank to get it up in there helps out the most. I loosened up both of the straps to drop it down a little, disconnected the fuel line and vents and filler, disconnected wiring harness, removed the plastic cover over the front and dropped it. It's just big and bulky and if it's full of fuel it's heavy! I'm sure all the years are slightly different but all similar. Also- no need to replace the fuel filter if you recently replaced it. Just the sock that goes on the end of the pump. It just slides onto the pump itself. You'll need to make sure you order a new one with the pump. The Delco/Delphi is probably one of the most expensive pumps- I think the sock itself was $23.00 for mine.

Old 04-08-2010, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by 95Jimmy
My truck doesn't have the snap rings- just the lock ring you tap around to lock in place. Doing it for the 1st time I'd just say take your time, drive it around (or siphon it) to get as much fuel out of the tank as possible, and someone to help hold the tank to get it up in there helps out the most. I loosened up both of the straps to drop it down a little, disconnected the fuel line and vents and filler, disconnected wiring harness, removed the plastic cover over the front and dropped it. It's just big and bulky and if it's full of fuel it's heavy! I'm sure all the years are slightly different but all similar. Also- no need to replace the fuel filter if you recently replaced it. Just the sock that goes on the end of the pump. It just slides onto the pump itself. You'll need to make sure you order a new one with the pump. The Delco/Delphi is probably one of the most expensive pumps- I think the sock itself was $23.00 for mine.
Doesn't the sock come with the pump? Is it called a "strainer"? IDK about Delco, but the ones Autozone sells say it comes with a strainer.

Old 04-08-2010, 12:37 AM
leeclark is an unknown quantity at this point

the 98 models do have the quick connect lines. and teh one blazer guy posted is the one mine has as well. but mine has a metal tank.it really isnt bad the hardest part i think was getting the tank down without breaking the vent valve. however i think on the plastic ones they are built in so if it breaks you will end up having to get a new tank, may be worng on that but i'm thinking thats how it is. so def do it slow as to not make mistakes.

Old 04-12-2010, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by leeclark
the 98 models do have the quick connect lines. and teh one blazer guy posted is the one mine has as well. but mine has a metal tank.it really isnt bad the hardest part i think was getting the tank down without breaking the vent valve. however i think on the plastic ones they are built in so if it breaks you will end up having to get a new tank, may be worng on that but i'm thinking thats how it is. so def do it slow as to not make mistakes.
I crawled up under the back of the truck last night to have a look. I can see the 3 hoses hooking into the top of the tank and the filler neck and other parts. The line connections are definately plastic connectors. They look like quick disconnect ones. How do they come off? Also where is this tank vent? It IS a plastic 18 gallon tank. How is it "built in" and easily breakable?
Also how do I siphon the gas out? I thought there was a screen at the bottom of the filler neck that prevents siphoning. At least that's what I was told..... Could I pull the filler neck off the tank and stick the tube in there and pump it out?

Also how are the fuel tank straps attached to the truck? Are they even replaceable? I have to replace them because I have to cut them off to drop the tank because the bolts are bent. Should I also be looking at a metal gas tank upgrade? What about a second tank (kidding, but is that even possible?)?

Last edited by ComputerNerdBD; 04-13-2010 at 12:01 AM.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:02 AM
Starting Member

I siphoned the gas out by dropping the tank a little bit and disconnecting the filler tube. The straps are held on by a bolt- 1 each. The Delphi pump I bought you had to buy the sock (strainer) separately- same with the Bosch.

Old 04-13-2010, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by 95Jimmy
I siphoned the gas out by dropping the tank a little bit and disconnecting the filler tube. The straps are held on by a bolt- 1 each. The Delphi pump I bought you had to buy the sock (strainer) separately- same with the Bosch.
ONE BOLT PER STRAP? That is the only thing holding these tanks under these trucks? Holy cow. Are the socks a dealer-only item or do most auto parts store have them in stock?

Old 04-13-2010, 01:56 PM
Starting Member

I'm assuming your Blazer is similar to my 95- I'm sure there are some small differences. The ends of the straps fit into notches on the frame-then the bolt secures the straps. The auto parts store will have the sock. When you order a fuel pump the people there usually know to tell you you will need a new one. I had to order the Delphi and sock- took a few days for Advance Auto Parts to get it.

Quick Reply: Fuel Pump Replacement