2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Fuel pump and/or sending unit differences???

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 02:40 PM
blazen_red_4x4 is on a distinguished road
Question Fuel pump and/or sending unit differences???

So the fuel sending unit in my 04 4 door LS is SHOT... gauge is all over the place... At first I was against the idea of just dropping the tank to repair or replace just the sending unit, but after seeing the $200+ price for an 04-05 Delphi pump assembly, I'm half tempted to do the sending unit repair for now, LOL! The pump works fine, no issues with it, could go out tomorrow, but that's a chance I'll take for now just to have a gauge that works right again...

I have in my possession a pump assembly off a 2000 4 door LT, looks like it was only just recently replaced. I don't see a name brand anywhere on it, so I don't want to throw the pump itself in my truck (if it said Delphi or AC Delco on it I definitely would try ), so I'm curious if just the sending unit part would be the same between the 2000 LT 4 door and my 2004 LS 4 door? I don't even really need the float or any of that jazz, just the electronic part with the "feelers" on it.

Is the fact that the pump I'm pulling it off of being aftermarket and the one in my 04 looks original going to give me issues?

Old 07-07-2014, 05:51 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

The buffer circuitry, (shock absorber for electricity) in the aftermarket fuel level senders are junk. I wouldn't trust the one from the 2000. The 4 door fuel level sending units are the same from 1998 through 2005. It can be serviced seperately and any GM dealer can get it for you. Might want to run a new ground for the sender while you're in there, (common problem to lose ground). Connect both black wires at the module harness connector together. Add a piece of 14ga wire to them and attach the other end to a clean body ground. Solder the connections using 60/40 lead/tin rosin core solder, don't use crimp connectors.

Old 07-08-2014, 01:31 PM

interesting, because when I look up fuel pump assemblies online I'm finding 98-03 and then 04-05 as different part numbers

so in theory, I should be able to take this level sensor off the 2000 and put it in my 04? I know that I should just change the whole assembly, and I plan to do so, I'd just like to have a functioning fuel gauge for the time being or rather, a more accurate one...

as it is now, when parked, the gauge falls flat to E and the low fuel light comes on. as soon as I start moving, it'll register (be it on and off) and come up and read. as soon as I stop, it'll start bouncing around again... it's all over the place. "erratic" is the correct term I guess

I would definitely check all the wires and redo the grounds while I had the tank dropped, since it would be a TON easier to get to then. and yes, I always solder my electrical joints, I DESPISE crimp connectors...

Old 07-08-2014, 01:54 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Fuel pump modules, (complete assemblies) are different but, "The 4 door fuel level sending units are the same from 1998 through 2005." So yes, the 2000 level sender will work in your 2004, as long as they're both 4 door. Keep in mind that if one of them is an aftermarket, the electrical connectors might not interchange. Crimp connectors have no place on a vehicle.

Old 07-08-2014, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
Fuel pump modules, (complete assemblies) are different but, "The 4 door fuel level sending units are the same from 1998 through 2005." So yes, the 2000 level sender will work in your 2004, as long as they're both 4 door. Keep in mind that if one of them is an aftermarket, the electrical connectors might not interchange. Crimp connectors have no place on a vehicle.
hmmmm, good point about the plugs...

that's something I wouldn't know until I got in there though... maybe this weekend if I get a hair up my *** I'll drop the tank and have a look

Old 07-08-2014, 04:41 PM

When you drop the tank, it might be worthwhile to have an AC Delco level sensor on hand just in case

Old 07-08-2014, 09:33 PM

benefits of working in a junk yard and now knowing that all the 4 doors 98+ are the same, I'll scrounge around tomorrow gotta look for a wiper motor pulse board anyhow, discovered over the weekend that I have only 3 wiper speeds lol about a 1 second pulse, slow constant, and high constant...

Old 07-09-2014, 11:54 AM

found a Delphi unit in a 2004 2 door, level sensor looks identical! I do still have the level sensor out of the 4 door no-name brand, maybe I'll throw an OHM meter on them and compare even got a nice tank gasket and lock ring too!

oh, and found a wiper pulse board lol

Old 07-09-2014, 12:36 PM

2 door tanks are deeper than 4 door tanks so the calibration is probably different.

Old 07-09-2014, 12:54 PM

possibly. the arms even looked the same between the two which I thought was odd

most likely all I need is the part with the little fingers on it that drag on the circuit board. most of them here I looked at are shot, one or both of the fingers worn completely off, and I have a feeling that's what I'm going to find when I dig into mine

got less than 1/4 tank in it right now (that is assuming it's reading right lol) so I'll probably keep enough in it to get me through the week, then this weekend I'll drop it and dig in

Last edited by blazen_red_4x4; 07-09-2014 at 12:56 PM.

Quick Reply: Fuel pump and/or sending unit differences???