2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Fuel related problem..I think

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 11:30 AM
harrymanback is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Fuel related problem..I think

Here is my situation, about 3 months ago my 2000 Blazer wouldn't start up but it was cranking fine. I changed the fuel filter, everything worked fine until about a week ago. Got off work, went to start it up, cranked and cranked but nothing. When I turned my key to the on position, I could no longer hear the whizzing of the pump. I changed the fuse and still nothing. I needed to tow it home from my work, when the truck driver showed up he asked me what was wrong, I explained, he started banging on the tank and it started right up. He told me sometimes dirt gets stuck in the pump and you have to loosen it by vibrating or hitting the tank. I drove it for another day and it died while driving so I had to coast it off the road. I didn't think that it could be the relay, why would it work after I banged on the tank if it was? So I picked up a new Airtrax pump for $225 and replaced it myself. After this 5 hour pump change marathon ( I was by myself and it was 3/4 full), I was relieved when it started up fine, fuel gauge started working too. It would take two turns of the key to start it up after two days of driving and eventually would crank and not start at all, again getting off work. I wanted to do a cheap fix so I replaced the fuel filter at my work parking lot and it started up fine once. Now, it is sitting at work I I have no idea what to do next. I put some gas in the throttle body and it runs until there is no more gas to burn. Could this be a pressure problem? Any help at all would be truly appreciated.

Old 09-18-2008, 11:34 AM
midnightride_69 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Fuel related problem..I think

What kind of fuel pressure are you getting?

Old 09-18-2008, 11:36 AM

I'm not sure, I don't have a pressure gauge, do you think it's a possibility it could be a pressure problem?

Old 09-18-2008, 11:40 AM

It sounds like it might be a slight leak some where. I would rent a fuel pressure gauge from autozone and check the fuel pressure and do a leak down test to see if it is holding pressure. I would also check the egr valve and clean it. Also check for vaccum leaks.

Old 09-18-2008, 11:48 AM

I was looking in the Haynes and to do a pressure check the engine must be running, can I stick the pressure gauge on, and will I get a reading when I try to crank the engine?

Old 09-18-2008, 11:55 AM
Peru Motors is an unknown quantity at this point

just hook up the gauge and key it on-you need to see 55-60 lbs pressure at key on-obviously you can't start it. If you don't get that pressure I'd return the Airtex and get an ACDelco pump. It'll cost you more...err...or maybe technically it won't but anyway this is a job you only want to do once. Good luck and report back when you can. JP[:@]

Old 09-18-2008, 11:56 AM

You should get a reading with the key in the run position but engine not running. Then turn the key off and watch the gauge and see if it goes down. Watch the gauge for about 20minutes.

Old 09-18-2008, 11:59 AM

Thats another problem. I havent heard anything good about the airtex pump. It could be bad or they gave you the wrong one for your vehicle. That just happened on another post.

Old 09-18-2008, 11:59 AM

I will check my pressure and report back with my findings, probably won't be til later today though. Thanks fellas.

Old 09-19-2008, 02:14 PM
skyblazer is an unknown quantity at this point

Speaking from experience, these blazers dont like aftermarket parts in them... alot of the time you need to replace with ACDelco parts and it saves you the aggravation.

best bet would be to bring back that Autozone/Advance reman pump and get your self an AcDelco pump or if you would liek to shop around i can recommend Delphi as another choice... Family member has a 2001 and went through the same thing as you with the Autozone pump and ended up with getting a Delphi and it hasn't falied in 2-3yrs.

But if you want the best bet to save aggavation, AC Delco all the way