2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Gas mileage

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 10:23 PM
BlackBeast is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Gas mileage

So I know this topic has been discussed before but I can't seem to find the answers I'm looking for. I drive a 2000 4door LS and recently I've been getting almost 12 mpg. I just ordered an exhaust system for it so I'm hoping that will help out a little. My goal is to get it close to 15 or more if possible. I'm not looking at spending a whole lot of money either to raise it so.

Iwould prefer cheap/inexspensive waysof doing it butif someone could tell me what they've done to increase your mpg or any suggestions to help.

Thanks

Old 12-07-2008, 11:14 PM
NVANZEE will become famous soon enough
Default RE: Gas mileage

Thats the same millage i get. I have a flomaster supper 44 but i also have 31in tires

Old 12-08-2008, 02:36 AM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

Nvanzee do you remember to include the extra mileage that the odometer is not accounting for when you do your MPG math (unless you got your PCM reprogrammed for the tires)?

BlackBeast I get about 15 with a roof rack and tire up top, brush guard, and wider A/T tires. Not starting another WHOA LOOK WHAT I GOT mpg thread, but I'm saying you should be doing a little better than 12 since youre pretty much stock.

When was your last tune up? Plugs/Wires/Distributor Cap/Rotor? That's the quickest way to get your mileage back.

Old 12-08-2008, 06:19 AM
NVANZEE will become famous soon enough

how would i calculate the difference. I know me spedo is off by 3

Old 12-08-2008, 08:10 AM
Peru Motors is an unknown quantity at this point

make absolute sure you're getting what you think-if using the trip computer overhead-next fill up clear the trip-or write down and compute yourself. One other FREE thing to do-ck tire pressure. If stock tires 35lbs-cause in the cold weather(if not ck'd lately) you may be surprised what you see. Also as previously stated-tune-up? May be good money spent!(if). JP[]

Old 12-08-2008, 10:27 AM

Nope that's what I get and now I'm running 31's so. I'm not sure when it was I know I should probably do that soon.

Old 12-08-2008, 01:19 PM
Starting Member
dBsound is an unknown quantity at this point

My 2001 gets 15 in town, and only 18 on the highway. Which pi**es me off, because the 2000 Blazer I had before, would get like 22 on the highway(I even got 24 on one long trip - yes, I triple checked the math!).

Old 12-08-2008, 04:18 PM

Well I'll be putting the exhaust on at the end of the week and see what happens then on. I can only hope it gets better if not o well no that big a deal.

Old 12-08-2008, 04:26 PM
Starting Member
blazer blaze13 is an unknown quantity at this point

try a cold air intake from k&n it willallow air to enter your engine less restricted.

Old 12-08-2008, 04:33 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

The FIPKs on these engines tend to only result in different sound (although some people claim better throttle response). Not really any noticeable boost in mileage..

Quick Reply: Gas mileage