2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Good fuel pressure CFI not working

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 06:03 PM
Beginning Member
hotrodln is on a distinguished road

well i hate to say it, but i went ahead and bought an AC delco fuel pump from an ebay seller as was recommended up above. then i looked through his feedback to see what the few negs were . one of them was that the new fuel pump was made in china....sigh.....and i was tempted to buy a Bosch one i saw on rock auto....do we really think Gm is getting things made in china?

Old 04-02-2013, 07:58 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Haven't heard anything about that, but I have heard of instances where the seller will rebox knock-off parts. The link above looks legit, but who knows. Gotta be real careful using eBay. After you install it, check fuel pump dead head pressure and leakdown and post the results.

Old 04-02-2013, 08:11 PM
Beginning Member

if it's says it's made in china should i still install it? I hate having to "walk" home! I think if it starts and runs good i'll just wash it and put it back inthe garage- no need to measure pressure!

Old 04-02-2013, 08:22 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Maybe check with AC Delco. Tell them you want to make sure you aren't getting a knock-off in an AC Delco box... trust me, they'll listen

Old 04-09-2013, 06:14 PM
Beginning Member

Well i just finished the install of the new pump and the car started right up. seems to be running perfectly! The ac delco pump i bought on ebay WAS made in china. I am hoping that GM kept tight control of quality before they put their name on the box. This does not appear to be a copy cat box just printed to say delco on it, so i am assuming it';s the real thing. Anyway quite relieved at this point. Since this was the second time i've done this i've learned a couple of tricks that made it easier to do. 1. remove the spare tire- lots more head room under there. 2. remove the driveshaft- even MORE room. 3. Remove the bolt that holds the main filler line and overflow line to the top of the crossmember out back- MUCH easier to put the tank back in. Some of you guys probably already know these things, but for those that didn't ....there it is. Now while i was under there i wanted to check the transfer case fluid. opened up the top access port and tranny fluid came pouring out. Does this thing just get filled from the transmission? if so i'll pull the stick tomorrow. Thanks again for eveybody's help and advice! Pat

Old 04-09-2013, 07:49 PM

Glad you got it going. If fluid came out the upper, (fill) plug on the transfer case, it may have been overfilled, but more than likely the transfer case input shaft is leaking allowing fluid from the transmission to enter the transfer case. Might be worthwhile to replace the transfer case vacuum switch, as long as you're right there.

Old 04-09-2013, 08:08 PM
Beginning Member

does the transfer case take transmission fluid? nobody but me has ever been under there, so i guess that means the input shaft seal IS leaking. Does it NEED to be fixed? or should i just keep an eye on the trans fluid level?

Old 04-09-2013, 08:21 PM

Same fluid, Dexron VI. IF the vacuum switch leaks internally, and IF the fluid level reaches the switch, fluid will be drawn into the vacuum systems for the HVAC and 4WD..... huge mess and extremely time consuming, and can be expensive to clean/fix. If fluid comes out the fill plug, it's waaaay past the level of the switch. Remove the vacuum switch connector, driver side of the transfer case, (above and inboard of the front drive shaft yoke). There are 3 vacuum lines in the connector. If there is fluid visible, or worse yet, runs out, of the vacuum lines, the damage is done.

Old 04-09-2013, 08:41 PM
Beginning Member

ok would replacing the switch be enough? or do i really need to replace the input shaft seal? i'm assuming that's a big job? as in pulling the transfer case off?

Old 04-09-2013, 08:47 PM

Replacing the switch will keep any more fluid from entering the vacuum systems. If there is fluid in the vacuum systems, it needs to be cleaned out or the 4WD and or HVAC actuators in the dash will not work properly, or at all. Fluid levels on both the transmission, and the transfer case, need to be correct. If you want to fix it properly, the transfer case needs to be removed to replace the seal.

Quick Reply: Good fuel pressure CFI not working