2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Gray wheel touch up paint

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 01:00 PM
Beginning Member
slowpoke is on a distinguished road
Default Gray wheel touch up paint

2003 Blazer with alloy wheels, clearcoat with dark gray centers and center caps. Looking for matching touch up paint for the gray centers. Anyone?

Old 04-09-2015, 05:31 PM
Starting Member
jkyle187 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Paint

I don't know if I have the exact answer but ill give you facts of what ive done.....maybe from this, someone higher on the food chain can chime in....I will post in a min...im still on dial up..and it take a moment to d/l pics...Tony.

Old 04-09-2015, 06:07 PM
Starting Member
Default My paint facts

1st & 2nd pics are the closest paint that I could find...
Pic 3 is of 4) painted and 2)stocks...the one bottom left is the pattern I went with..
Pic 4 is scheme I went with..The gold did fade as I thought it would...grey and Testors Gold - Metallic
1144TT - 1/4 oz. Metallics
Pic 5 is grey and Dupli-Color Ford BZ Chrome Yellow AFM 0363 in which I didn't like.....it was too yellow
Pic 6 is the brush I used to paint the bowtie....steady hand....
Pic 7 are the mistakes. gold painted over the yellow and the problem with using acetone to clean the mistakes....
Pic 8 is just a comparison of them.....
I sanded all of them to the white plastic, cleaned them with alcohol. Applied three coats of grey allowing them to flash in between coats...waited two days to paint the bowtie..

Attached Thumbnails Gray wheel touch up paint-kimg0091.jpg   Gray wheel touch up paint-kimg0092.jpg   Gray wheel touch up paint-kimg0088.jpg   Gray wheel touch up paint-kimg0094.jpg   Gray wheel touch up paint-kimg0065abc.jpg  

Gray wheel touch up paint-kimg0093.jpg   Gray wheel touch up paint-kimg0089.jpg   Gray wheel touch up paint-kimg0090.jpg  
Old 04-10-2015, 08:14 AM
Beginning Member

jkyle187- Thanks for your story and photos. Your results look great! Apparently wheel paint codes are a problem, but I think the GM code for the wheels is WA8798 which was used as a body color choice on a whole bunch of GM products in prior years. There is a Duplicolor corresponding #BGM0534. I'm shortly off to see if I can find this paint locally and I'll compare the cap on the can to the wheel caps. If that's n/g, I'll use your Rustoleum number, as it looks good on your wheels. Will report back in case anyone's interested.

BTW- interesting rides in your list- I had a 1973 Honda CB750 when it was the fastest bike on the road. Scared the hell out of me (no *****). Current fun ride is a '92 Vette convertible 6-speed. I like oldies but goodies.

Old 04-10-2015, 10:47 AM
Starting Member
Default paint match

yes if you find the paint match, please let me know...I will repaint mine if I had the right color and its availability....Hope to hear from you soon..

Old 04-10-2015, 02:56 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by jkyle187
yes if you find the paint match, please let me know...I will repaint mine if I had the right color and its availability....Hope to hear from you soon..
As far as I can tell, the GM wheel paint code is WA8978, which crosses to Duplicolor BGM0534. This color is offered online but not carried in my local stores. I used an eyeball match for Duplicolor BGM0344 which looks pretty close. Picked up a can of that color along with the adhesion promoter primer for plastic and a can of clear topcoat. It may be a few days before I can get to it, but I'll report back when I do.

Wish me luck!

Old 04-10-2015, 09:17 PM
Starting Member
Default paint

Look what I found. I think I found the only two cans left in the state of Ga...I will paint 4 tmmrw and compare and post pics...I didn't get any clear coat..maybe I wont need it..but the clear wont go on until the bowtie is done...

Attached Thumbnails Gray wheel touch up paint-kimg0096.jpg  
Old 04-11-2015, 12:08 PM
Starting Member
Default paint

I think the Duplicolor #BGM0534 is a better if not a perfect match...see pics...opinions are very much welcome..

Attached Thumbnails Gray wheel touch up paint-kimg0097.jpg   Gray wheel touch up paint-kimg0099.jpg   Gray wheel touch up paint-kimg0100.jpg   Gray wheel touch up paint-kimg0104.jpg   Gray wheel touch up paint-kimg0105.jpg  

Gray wheel touch up paint-kimg0108.jpg  
Old 04-11-2015, 09:46 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Sweet! I know what I'm doing when the weather breaks! Great info guys! Thanks!

Old 04-12-2015, 09:26 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by jkyle187
I think the Duplicolor #BGM0534 is a better if not a perfect match...see pics...opinions are very much welcome..
Photos look good. But colors, especially metallic, are not always true when seen on line. For that reason, your comments re the color match are the best indicator. And considering that the original paint job, 12 or so years ago, could have a little fading, and also that metallic paints can vary in appearance based on spray pressure etc., it seems the numbers I came up with are correct.

How was the Duplicolor to work with? Haven't used their product for some years but have seen elsewhere some reports that the coverage was thin, many coats needed.

I'll be redoing my caps before long, plan to use the adhesion promoter primer as well as the clear top coat. I need to present a proper appearance in case I'm called on to chauffeur the Pope.

Quick Reply: Gray wheel touch up paint