2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

grinding noise when auto trans shifts into 2nd

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 09:22 PM
BF Veteran
MTopper will become famous soon enough
Default grinding noise when auto trans shifts into 2nd

ok, so i'm in Virginia for the next 2 weeks at my brothers. i have been running my air conditioning because my 56 year old mom and 66 year old aunt are driving with me. well, i now have a problem.

When i'm going from a stop sign with my air on, the truck shifts into 2nd and i get a grinding coming from the front for about 5 more miles, under any kind of driving. hard or slow.

now, it goes away when i turn the air off and do the same kind of driving.

Any ideas?

Old 07-25-2010, 08:47 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Does the A/C work properly? Could be a slipping A/C clutch.

Old 07-25-2010, 09:23 AM
BF Veteran

the a/c works no problem. it gets cold right away and worked no problem for the 9 hour trip from detroit to ashburn, VA. my brother thinks it could be the synchro in my trans but... that would suck because all the shops around here charge an arm and a leg

Old 07-25-2010, 09:29 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

That doesn't make sense. If it were a problem in the transmission, turning the A/C on or off shouldn't have any impact.

Old 07-25-2010, 09:32 AM
BF Veteran

thats what i said last night. but this morning i drove to get gas and it wasn't happening until after i went to leave the gas station. it did it once and then never again. its really bothersome because i'm here for another 2 weeks, then have the 600 mile trip home on the turn pikes which are no fun to break down on.

after thinking about it more. the sound is kind of a whirring more than a grinding. and when i pulled out of his driveway and into drive, the trans kind of clunked into gear. so, i might need some "simple" trans work

Last edited by MTopper; 07-25-2010 at 09:36 AM.
Old 07-25-2010, 10:20 AM
David Hineline is an unknown quantity at this point

Simple transmission work becomes replacement transmission work quickly if the simple work is not done.

Old 07-25-2010, 12:30 PM
Administrator

I would be trying to pin-point the source of the noise sooner rather than later.

Could you describe the noise a bit more? Does it sound like metal on metal, plastic on metal, plastic on plastic??? Is it definitely in front of you? If so, I doubt it is in the transmission.

Your truck is 2wd is it not (rules out a problem with the front axle engagement)?

How is your accessory drive belt & tensioner?

Old 07-25-2010, 08:39 PM
BF Veteran

ok, we drove to my cousins which is about a 60 mile drive and at a couple different stop lights when i would take off to get up to speed it would sound like an airplane taking off. it was very airy, very labored, and no power.

the sound was metal on metal and was coming from under neath me. it didn't sound in front, it sound like it was under my butt.

and after i drove it more today i could feel the truck working harder to get going and from cruise to accelerate it was working harder along with at more than one occasion it went to shift and was neutral before into gear but it wasn't an abrupt shift in.

i don't know how to explain it much better because i'm not a technical person yet. The a/c thing last night was just happen stance, it was actually noticeable when going up hill first but now its more often than up hill. its whenever a load is put on the transmission. if i'm going downhill i don't feel or hear anything. so, if it doesn't fail me or anything i'm going to take it to my shop at home and have them do a diagnostic of it all. hopefully a trans flush and such will help but i have a bad feeling it'll be much worse. at least i'm getting paid for my work done here

Old 07-26-2010, 09:03 PM
Administrator

If it is metal on metal grinding in the transmission, I doubt a flush will cure it. I hope for your sake it does though.

Old 07-26-2010, 11:09 PM
BF Veteran

well, mom leaves thursday to fly home and she is in complete denial of any problems but my brother and i both know something is wrong so it goes to his shop on friday morning. i'll let you guys know what they say

and thanks everyone for the help