2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Hard shifts - opinion on options?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 01:13 PM
Starting Member
midnightmekanik is on a distinguished road
Default Hard shifts - opinion on options?

So my truck has a hard shift from 1-2. With the engine light illuminated now. I will check for codes, but I just moved, and have to find the box the reader is in.

I know the many causes for it, and I am going to be narrowing down the problem. I'm going to start at the TPS, only because it freaking cold here!

When the weather warms up, I will check the solenoids, valve body, fluid and filter as well.

Now my question is, if it is the valve body that is the issue, should I go with a rebuilt valve body? Or a sonnex/transgo kit to repair the one I have?

I'm quite comfortable doing the work myself, that is not the issue. My dilemma is that the sonnex kit is ~$180, the transgo ~$160 and a rebuilt valve body is ~$200.

The rebuilt valve body does not have the inserts put in as far as I have been told, so it may fall to the same problem all of them do unless the casting is post 2000 (I read that after 2000 they used a different material to prevent the ball seal wearing out the passage).

The reprogramming/refresher kits do have the inserts, but no solenoids. If it isn't the actual valve passage that is the problem, I would have to buy and install the solenoids requiring the whole process to be undertaken again.

So, opinions on what I should do?

Suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Old 01-14-2015, 02:11 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

If your vehicle qualifies, this will fix the problem: http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/he...-2_Upshift.pdf
Part numbers are listed at the end.

Old 01-14-2015, 02:51 PM
Starting Member

Pretty much sums up what I'm experiencing.

I'm still going to check the TPS though. Whether the trans is cold or warm, it seems to really wind out first gear under normal acceleration. Heavy acceleration and it shifts hard and sets a code. With very light acceleration its hard to tell, but it shifts harder than it should at that speed, but the gear is dragged on as normal accel., but almost every car I've had with an auto trans keeps it in a gear until speed is achieved.

Old 01-14-2015, 03:06 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

If this vehicle is equipped with OBDII, and there's a problem with the TPS, or its circuits, it will set a code and turn the light on. No code, no light, no problem.

Old 01-16-2015, 12:46 AM
Starting Member

Well, looks like the shifting problems will have to wait... Driving to work tonight, I had to pull over and shut it down. Temps were 3/4 up the gauge, and a wonderful plume of white smoke behind me. Once the smoke settled, I see the area just behind the a/c compressor soaked with coolant. Great... looks like I'll be doing the manifold gaskets this weekend. The only saving grace is that it was an external leak, and the oil is still nice a clean.

Anyone wanna come help me in -10C? LOL Hot chocolate, or hot toddies will be provided!

Old 01-16-2015, 02:17 AM
Starting Member

also noticed something strange with the trans. Cruising at around 100kp/h it just seems to lose acceleration? It will actually slow down while the engine rpm doesnt change. Giving it a bit more gas doesn't do anything until I really lean into it almost flooring it, then it will downshift into 2nd, then hit 3rd and then 4th nice and crisp. It will cruise like this for a bit, until it starts to slow again, then I have to repeat the heavy acceleration. Aside from the hard 1-2 shift, and this strange issue, the trans shifts fine for the most part. Under city driving conditions, it shifts and holds speed fine uphill and downhill, it just seems to be at 100kp/h? Could this be attributed to the valve body? Or perhaps a suspicion I have that the TPS has a dead spot?

Truck is a 97 blazer 4x4

Old 01-16-2015, 01:44 PM
Beginning Member
86sleeper is an unknown quantity at this point

On my 98 I was going thru the same headache, I change the filter and while I was their I also change both shift solenoids and still no 100% fix. It actually ended up being the cat clogged up. I don't regret doing the solenoids and the filter due to they were overdue for changing. Thank god after maybe 6 months no problem.

Old 01-16-2015, 03:41 PM

Intakes aren't that bad, just time consuming. There are threads in the How To section here on the forum. Use Felpro MS98002T gasket set. Make sure all gasket sealing surfaces are clean. Intake bolts DO NOT need to be replaced if you chase the threads on the bolts, and in the heads, and apply thread sealer to the bolts. Follow tightening sequence and torque specs, VERY important.

A partially restricted converter could indeed be an issue. Might want to check fuel pressure and leakdown at the service port, and at the fuel filter outlet.

Old 01-16-2015, 08:19 PM
Starting Member

I'll check out the cat when I can, but I cant see that being the problem... The truck was just put through emissions testing the day before the gasket went. It passed with flying colours! Actually had lower CO readings than my 2011 Sorrento lol

Old 01-21-2015, 11:37 PM
Starting Member

Mods, please close this thread... Trans issue was solved with a new valve body. I will be creating another thread for the loss of power issue I have.

Thanks.

Last edited by midnightmekanik; 01-22-2015 at 10:07 AM.

Quick Reply: Hard shifts - opinion on options?