2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Hard start - Did fuel leakdown tests - advice?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 10:49 PM
Davecubs14 is on a distinguished road

Thanks captain, I'll keep you posted after I take it to the shop tomorrow.

Old 03-27-2015, 03:26 PM

All right......that was a fun visit. The only thing I got out of it was a free vacuum line changed because as they pulled my car around it started hissing, line cracked open.

So dropped it off, they told me it'll be a while so I went home but not more than 15 minutes later they call saying my fuel pump is bad and there are no leaks, I told them I just replaced it, it's fine. Why do they think it's bad? Guy said it's only showing 50 psi at the service port, I told him no way. Told him to leave it hooked up till I get there to see. So I walk in the back, and the tech is checking it while engine is running, told me it should be 60-65, not 50 psi while engine is running. I told him that it should be within those specs when the ignition is on, no start. He said that's not how you do it.

He said I'll show you the leak down test....ok cool. Turns off engine, looks at his watch and says if the gauge doesn't drop to 23 psi or below after 1 minute, it's fine. I asked him where do they get their specs to go by, I'd love to see. He said that pay a subscription to Mitchell books online. They then tell me I must have bought a airtex pump, I said nope, ac delco. They said oh....well we only use Delphi pumps.

I offered to show him this thread and forum but he said he's been working on cars since the 70s and that I shouldn't really believe anything said on here, if anything I can just use it as a starting point but no more.

So.......yeah.

Old 03-27-2015, 04:10 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

You did just fine!

Originally Posted by Davecubs14
...he said he's been working on cars since the 70s and that I shouldn't really believe anything said on here, if anything I can just use it as a starting point but no more...

I think what he meant by "here" was his shop

This link is straight out of the GM factory "dealer issue" shop manual and clearly tells how to check pressure at the service port: fuel_sys1of5.gif gif by swartlkk | Photobucket

So, it sounds like he's not going to help you, or doesn't know what the problem is, and you're on your own for fixing what he didn't, wouldn't, or couldn't Goes back to the old saying, "if you want it done right, you have to do it yourself."

EDIT: Keep in mind, checking pressure at the service port will give you the LOWER of regulated pressure, or fuel pump maximum output pressure, and the lowest leakdown, (plenum or pump). It will NOT tell you where the leakdown problem is.

Last edited by Captain Hook; 03-27-2015 at 04:21 PM.
Old 04-10-2015, 09:46 PM

So finally started working on the fuel injectors today - Did the leakdown test again just to verify, within 3 minutes the pressure was already 52 from 58 - I was able to get the ac delco injectors a little cheaper than the Delphi so I went with that. I have a couple questions. I don't have to redo the gaskets for the upper intake or throttle body do I? I have only gotten down to the throttle body gasket, they were replaced 6 months ago but it's reusable right?

Next, looked inside the upper intake and here is a pic attached. The closest injector on the right was wet on the electrical harness wires. I wiped with my fingers and it was fuel. I'm gonna take a stab and say that's not good?

Attached Thumbnails Hard start - Did fuel leakdown tests - advice?-upper-intake1.jpg  
Old 04-10-2015, 09:50 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Do not reuse the plenum or throttle body gaskets. They come in a set, usually called "upper intake gaskets". You're right about fuel on the injector, not good. Shouldn't be any fuel leaks in the plenum.

Old 04-10-2015, 10:07 PM

That's fine with me, the gaskets came with the fuel injectors. Searched about it and saw answers both ways. Thanks for the fast reply and i'll keep this thread updated!

Old 04-11-2015, 04:29 PM

Ok. Maybe I'm dumb but how do I remove the fuel injectors? I thought they would just pull out but they are not. I was looking at the ac delco ones because they look similar and cannot figure it out. Now these are the upgraded ones. I see they have a clip kinda that pops when it goes in.

Old 04-11-2015, 07:43 PM

They can definitely be a challenge. If they don't come out, the option is to pull the intake off and push 'em out from the under side....PITA. Old style were simple, but not these

Old 04-11-2015, 10:03 PM

Oh gosh, ok. Well at least I know they just pull out and I'm not that stupid and can't fine a release tab or something. I hope it doesn't come to that but we'll see. Thanks captain.

Old 04-12-2015, 01:48 PM

Ok, success! Just had to use more force but they all came out - but two injectors were just sitting in there and not snapped in so they fell right out - could that be trouble for the new injector I'm about to install? Also, pulled one injector out that had a chunk blocking 50% of the end of the injector. Should I try to clean out the injector ports before installing the new ones and if so, how do I go about doing that? Here is a pic of the plenum and tried to get a shot in the port but couldn't get a real good shot

Attached Thumbnails Hard start - Did fuel leakdown tests - advice?-plenum1.jpg   Hard start - Did fuel leakdown tests - advice?-plenum2.jpg  

Quick Reply: Hard start - Did fuel leakdown tests - advice?