2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Hard start - Did fuel leakdown tests - advice?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 04:09 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Only have one 4.3 here at the time to check, but from memory, and the one that is here, the image is correct. The retainer has two different sizes, (5/16" & 3/8") and the one in the image appears to be backwards, not upside down.

Old 04-17-2015, 04:56 PM
Davecubs14 is on a distinguished road

The only problem is with that bracket like it is in my picture, the fuel lines are sticking out a good half inch and are not seated into the spider assembly.

Old 04-17-2015, 06:17 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Ha, just checked another 4.3 and it's installed the opposite of the image. I guess there's probably a correct way to install it, but the shop manual doesn't show it. Neither one is leaking. I guess it's still up for debate Too funny. It makes more sense to be opposite of the image so it holds the lines down farther.

Old 04-17-2015, 09:57 PM

That's funny! Yeah, with it flipped, the lines are completely in so I'm gonna go that route. I'll keep everyone updated. Sorry, I'm a very slow worker!

Old 04-24-2015, 01:08 AM

Had a little time to work on it today, the problem I was having getting the lines back in was 95% lubrication. Was using motor oil. I switched to petroleum jelly and they slid right in. But I was hooking the lines up at the back of the firewall and it looks like those lines have an o ring on them as well? One looks really deteriorated. Will that o ring set from advance auto have the replacements in the dorman set? Part no. 90000 I believe.

Old 04-24-2015, 07:07 AM

Pretty sure they come in the kit. If not, you can get them separately. They must be fuel rated, (brown) 5/16" & 3/8".

Old 04-24-2015, 11:51 PM

Boom! Got everything in tonight. At the same time I also replaced my air filter, cleaned my egr valve and got a new gasket for it as well as cleaned my throttle body, iac valve and did the throttle body mod. Didn't cut the blade completely off though. I'm sure I did a few more things....

For the good part, Fuel pressure is great! First test after 10 minutes was 56 psi. Second test, 57 psi. Took 30 minutes to drop below 55 psi so I'm pretty happy! I will try and do a write up later on this topic after searching and searching for pieces of info I needed to do this and put it in one spot for other people. Looks like it is good to go now, Thanks Captain and everyone else!

One more thing......could not find the torque specs for the throttle body. I did 90 in. lbs which might not be right but felt good so went with it.

Last edited by Davecubs14; 04-25-2015 at 12:15 AM.
Old 04-25-2015, 09:04 AM

The throttle body mod may present issues. The diffuser is designed to help distribute EGR gasses evenly in the plenum when the valve opens. The EGR discharge tube is very close to cylinders #1, #2, & #4 intake ports, and without the plate, they end up with excess EGR gas so you may encounter a stumble on acceleration and possibly a surge or misfire while cruising. Just something to keep in mind.

Fuel pressure: with the pump prime terminal activated, ignition off, pressure needs to be 60-66psi. Make sure that checks out. Your leakdown is fine.

Torque spec for the throttle body studs is 80 inch pounds. 90 is a tad high but shouldn't be an issue. Don't loosen them up, the seal is squashed down now, and loosening them might cause a leak.

Old 04-25-2015, 01:11 PM

Thanks captain, I did read that about the mod but I'm gonna give it a shot and see!

With the fuel pump primed it hit 64 both times I tested it!

I Would have asked and waited for an answer on the throttle body but....I was too excited to see if my fuel pressure issue was fixed last night ha!

Old 08-29-2015, 03:37 PM

Came across this thread and figured I should update that the blazer has had zero hard starts since changing the injectors out. It's not my daily driver anymore but probably put 2k miles on it since changing the injectors. It has been started countless times though just to move it out of the driveway. Thanks for everyone who helped!

Quick Reply: Hard start - Did fuel leakdown tests - advice?