2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Hard Start & Loss of Fuel Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 07:45 PM
Beginning Member
ndekens is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hard Start & Loss of Fuel Pressure

So I notice that my 96 4d 4x4 will has had a prograssevly hard starting problem after it has sat for a hour or 2. Recently while fighting the intake gasket problem I had I noticed that it was loosing fuel pressure in the fuel lines when I would remove them from the back of the intake. After I had just started the blazer then removed the lines I get fuel spilling but when I removed the lines after sitting over night ...not a drop of gas. So does anyone know what the problem is?

Dont think its the filter since it runs just dandy after starting. Is my pump going bad?

Old 11-13-2007, 09:23 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Hard Start & Loss of Fuel Pressure

This is characteristic of a failing FPR (fuel pressure regulator) or a leaking injector/poppet nozzle. You could pull off the upper plenum, reinstall the fuel lines, and pressurize the system with the poppet nozzles out of their bores, looking for a leak.

Old 11-13-2007, 10:48 PM
Starting Member
blazeofglory is an unknown quantity at this point

Nate,

If you find that Kyle is correct( and he usually is[sm=hail.gif])consider doing an MFI upgrade. Assuming that cleaning the injector, poppet valves, etc doesn't help, and the FPR is toast. The conversion is super easy and the cost is A LOT LESS (Ipaid a little over$200.00 for mine) than replacing the current problem prone system that you currently have. It made a world of difference (in my case)

Gator

Old 11-14-2007, 05:17 PM
Beginning Member
ndekens is an unknown quantity at this point

What is an MFI conversion and how hard is it to get parts? Got any links on it?

Old 11-14-2007, 09:47 PM
Starting Member
blazeofglory is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Nate,

If you want I can give you all the info you need,or you can type in MFI in the search forum and find a wealth of info on this subject.
At some point I'm going to write up a complete DIY post (with photos that I took while doing mine) but right now I'm like a one legged man at an A--kicking contest.[sm=pcwhack.gif]
The conversion is not difficult at all, even with the extra steps that I took (for photo Clarity) it still only took a couple of hours start to finish, with basic hand tools. The only difficult part is (1) loosening the fuel and return lines at the rear of the intake manifold, (you need a stubby 16mm wrench) or you can just unbolt the the bracket and CAREFULLY pull the lines out of the metering block. (2) the routing of injector line #3 (the kit comes with instructions for the correct routing of this line) other than that it's pretty straight forward.
If you want you can E-mail me and I'll walk you through it. (instead of waiting for the article to be posted) Or like I said before you can do a search for MFI and find all the info you need. Also I remember seeing a really good intakeremove and replacearticle (with photos) in the DIY forum.

Just let me know,

good luck,

Gator