2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Hard start when sits for half hour after running

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 08:26 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Like I said, watch it real close, some of those places make it look like you're getting a genuine Delco or Delphi. Some of those places even charge about the same price, maybe a couple bucks less, so as not to raise any "too good to be true" flags.

The tank does need to be as close to empty as you dare go. A full tank of fuel, including the tank, weighs around 200 pounds. You can use the pump to empty it out through the fuel filter by jumpering the pump at the pump prime terminal in the underhood fuse panel. The problem with that is it takes forever! Easier just to drive it until it's almost empty.

Best to take the tank completely out to thoroughly clean the area around the module before you remove it, and to make sure the O ring seals properly when you install the new module. If the O ring leaks, you might get a fuel odor, but you will get an EVAP DTC. Just be careful with the vent line connection on the front end of the tank. Removing the spare tire, if it's mounted underneath, gives you a little more room under there too.

Old 03-04-2012, 08:38 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

"Robust fuel" was an option and will be on the RPO code list as either "K53" or "8B9" if the vehicle is equipped with it. Extremely rare, but there are some out there. If neither code is listed on your RPO code sticker, your vehicle is not equipped with it.

Both of those pumps you listed use the "flat 4" connector. The new harness must be soldered to the vehicle harness, do not use the crimp terminals that come with it.

I have dealt with both of those places in the past, never had a problem with either.

Last edited by Captain Hook; 03-04-2012 at 08:42 PM.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:44 PM
Beginning Member
sjmcarz is on a distinguished road

I'll check the pump code before ordering. Thanks.

Old 03-18-2012, 03:34 PM
Beginning Member
sjmcarz is on a distinguished road

Replaced the fuel pump today with an AC/Delco unit from AM Autoparts, all is well now. Pressure is good and the gas gauge reads correctly again. The pump that was in there was NOT an AC/Delco which I was led to believe, but an Airtex unit. Before I dropped the tank, I checked the wiring which ended up having crimp connectors that a shop used when they previously replaced the pump, so I soldered and shrink wrapped the connections just to be safe, and tested the pump and gauge before putting in the new pump. The issues were still there so I replaced the pump.

Drained the tank by jumping the pump relay and using a length of fuel line on the outlet of the fuel filter. I disconnected the front vent at the steel line coming off of the vehicle frame rather than the fragile plastic connector on the tank.

So the wife is happy now and I saved myself probably a few hundred $$ in labor. I paid $244. for the AC/Delco pump. Overall took 3 to 4 hours including the time to drain 9 gallons of gas.

Thanks to everyone for their input.