2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Hard Starting and Wont Idle

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 08:22 AM
Beginning Member
nitro7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hard Starting and Wont Idle

1996 Jimmy
New Long block installed 350 miles ago or so.

Currently my fuel mileage seems very high have not actually calculated it, but I am guessing 10-12 MPG.

The truck ran great the first 340 miles on the new long block except for fuel mileage which I actually just noticed recently.

Yesterday it was raining pretty good here, and when I went to crank my truck to head to work it just turned over and would not start. Acted as it had no fuel or no spark. Didn't have time jumped in my old truck and went to work.

Get home last evening try to crank it same results just spins with no attempt to start. It was late in the evening cold and rainy so I said will deal with it later.

This morning I go out crank my old truck to let her warm up and for giggles turn the key in my Jimmy after about 1.5 secs or so of turning over she cranked up and idled seemingly fine.

I go inside for a couple of moments come out and she is no longer running. I crank it and she cranked right up.

I headed in to town in the Jimmy and I get toned out (Volunteer EMA) to assist with an accident scene. I stage my Jimmy to block a road off and leave her Idling. Once again idling fine, however she died twice on me cranked right back up after wards.

We go back in service after the scene, and I meet up with the IC for the scene for a moment. He leaves I pull up to the stop sign and I die, and it would not fire back turned over no starting though. Sit there for a few moments then tried it again and she fired right up.

Drove it to work not allowing it to idle at all and that is where we are.

Any ideas??

Thanks,
Clint

Old 03-26-2010, 08:38 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I would recommend a fuel pressure test to start off although fuel pumps typically do not stop running once they have started.

When you replaced the engine, did you also replace the cap/rotor/plugs/wires? Have you tested the ICM and coil (most autoparts stores can do this but you have to remove them)?

Old 03-26-2010, 10:19 AM
Beginning Member
nitro7 is an unknown quantity at this point

Plugs/Wires was replaced cap and rotor was fairly new and in good shape.

I have decided to have it looked at, I think right now would rather pay the money to have it diagnosed for me, then working it through my self.