2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Having a hard time seeing gauges in daytime

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2019, 08:06 AM
Starting Member
don james is on a distinguished road
Question Having a hard time seeing gauges in daytime

I have been trying to figure some way to let me see the gauges quickly while driving during the day, Maybe I am the only one with this problem??? [but i doubt it]
I am looking for small reflective numbers and/or markers to stick to the plastic over the cluster, but can't seem to come up with any small enough..........
Does anyone have any ideas for me.......??

I check my gauges often, and it bugs the heck out of me when i glance down and can't get a reading......especially on mountain roads.......

I know you can buy clusters that are more visible, but I though I'd ask to see if someone may come up with an easier and more simple idea..........

Old 02-19-2019, 09:36 AM
go chevy is on a distinguished road

The stick on numbers thingy you mentioned I have never seen or even heard of... Many people will though buy after market gauges, I call them "racing gauges" and mount them eye level along the driver side door... If they go that route most buy the entire cluster instead of individual gauges...

Old 02-19-2019, 01:46 PM
Starting Member

thanks for the reply.......you can buy the face of the cluster and change it out......I don't want anything complicated.......I'm thinking of buying a bottle of glow glue and just put a few marks at strategic points on the gauges...........I'll do a little more looking and see if i can come up with some 1/4" stick on numbers......they seem to hard to find??

Old 02-19-2019, 02:13 PM
odat is on a distinguished road

Small label maker ?

Old 02-19-2019, 02:58 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

Can you take a picture of your gauge cluster? I'm finding hard to imagine not being able to see mine. Are they permanently dimmed as what would happen with the headlights on?

Old 02-19-2019, 04:58 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

Yeah, what does the cluster look like? Mine is plenty bright all the time

Old 02-19-2019, 06:58 PM
Rock18 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by christine_208
Can you take a picture of your gauge cluster? I'm finding hard to imagine not being able to see mine. Are they permanently dimmed as what would happen with the headlights on?
Originally Posted by cleburne red
Yeah, what does the cluster look like? Mine is plenty bright all the time
Yeah, I've also not ever once thought, "Boy, these gauges are hard to read!" either and only even keep my brightness set at halfway at night. I couldn't see how glow paint would be necessary or helpful especially during the day. Have you had your eyes checked lately?

If visibility is an issue there are inexpensive-ish Heads Up Displays like this one too that work off OBD/GPS and project up onto the windscreen.

Old 02-19-2019, 08:28 PM
Starting Member

I guess i lost everybody some where.......night time is great...........daytime is the problem.............I just had a eye exam, my vision is great, I just need a little help with the fine print :-)

I'll figure some thing out.........thanks

Old 02-19-2019, 09:03 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

What year is your truck? Maybe it's a different cluster than mine? My 95 has one of the most visible instrument clusters ever. Everything is big and bold

Old 02-20-2019, 10:29 AM
go chevy is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by don james
I guess i lost everybody some where.......night time is great...........daytime is the problem.............I just had a eye exam, my vision is great, I just need a little help with the fine print :-)

I'll figure some thing out.........thanks
I see it is not night time you have trouble with, but day time... I have a 98 Blazer and the panel is plenty bright during the day. At night I actually adjust the switch down a bit because the panel is brighter than I personally prefer...

Quick Reply: Having a hard time seeing gauges in daytime