2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Head gasket replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 07:49 PM
theeviltwinn is on a distinguished road
Default Head gasket replacement

I think my head gasket went and needs to be replaced. I did a search and read up on what I could but I still have some questions.

First off the car is a 95 Blazer with the 4.3 Vortec engine. 170,000 mi. 4 door, 4WD, Auto trans, AC. New plugs, wires, cap, rotor in Oct. New thermostat last week.

The symptoms are white smoke out the exhaust, overheating, loosing coolant, bubbles in the radiator. If I start it cold without the radiator cap on about a gallon of coolant will bubble out and then the level in the radiator disappears. If I add coolant it will run a while before the coolant starts to bubble out again.

I did a compression test in Oct. #2,4 and 6 were all at 165 psi. #1 - 185psi, #3 - 190 psi and #5 - 120 psi. The car has had an intermitent P0305 code since I got it last year.

The search said the LIM gasket could also be the problem. With all I have could it be the LIM or is it the head gasket? I haven't done a leak down test because I don't have the equipment to do one.

My question is other than a new gasket set is there anything special I need to do this work? I have wrenches etc. and a Haynes manual. Any tips or things to look out for?

Thanks
Mike

Old 12-13-2010, 09:33 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Gas analyzer in the radiator will confirm or deny a faulty head gasket. If it needs a head gasket, you'll need an inch pound torque wrench, a foot pound torque wrench, a tap and die set to clean threads before reassembling, and a GM shop manual. Haynes is OK for an oil and filter change, anything more than that, forget it, they're worthless. Half of the information is incorrect, the other half is missing, and the specs are usually wrong.

Old 12-14-2010, 09:42 AM
Beginning Member
latinoNJ is on a distinguished road

I also replaced my head gaskets. The only thing frustrating was the exhaust manifold. Getting the distributor to line up correctly is a little tricky but it's fairly easy.

I used this guide http://www.handymanlyness.com/archiv..._99_Jimmy.html although the guide is a 99 jimmy, the procedure was the same for my 1996 blazer, I'm sure you can use this guide for the 1995. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I used the guide to remove the intake manifold, then use your manual for the rest, which is a piece of cake.

Old 12-14-2010, 09:45 AM
Starting Member
blazerpower is on a distinguished road

if i remember correct the motor is different in the 95

Old 12-15-2010, 10:38 AM

Thanks all

I've looked it over and read the Haynes manual and it looks like a pretty straight foward job. Remove and put back. I think the biggest issue will be the exhaust manifold and rusted bolts.

Thanks
Mike

Old 01-01-2011, 12:41 PM

OK I got it replaced but something isn't right. I have low compression on the #1 and #5 cylinders. The readings are

#1 - 140 psi
#3 - 165 psi
#5 - 75 psi

The before readings were
#1 - 185 psi
#3 - 190 psi
#5 - 120 psi

So I think either I didn't do something right or there is a problem with the head. No I didn't check the head for flatness while I had it off. I was in a hurry.

I checked the torque twice on the head bolts as I was assembling it so I think i got that right. Would it be a bad thing to try tightening the bolts a bit more?

I had both of the mating surfaces as clean as I could get them. I put the gasket on dry and installed the head carefully. Should I have used a sealant with the gasket? I used the fel-pro gasket set from advanced auto.

I'm just looking for suggestions on what to look for before I start tearing the motor apart again.

Thanks
Mike

Old 01-01-2011, 01:41 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Does the #5 reading come up if you squirt some oil in the spark plug hole? If it does, then the rings may be on the way out. If not, then I would do a cylinder leak down test and see where the air is escaping. You may have a bent valve or bad rings to the point were the oil on them still will not allow it to seal.

Old 01-01-2011, 05:05 PM

Thanks for the tip. I'll try that before I start taking stuff apart again.

Mike