Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Help....blown head gasket or blown intake gasket..?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 01:56 AM
Beginning Member
limited edition 1 is on a distinguished road
Default Help....blown head gasket or blown intake gasket..?

Ok guy's I just replaced my fuel pump in my 2001 limited edition trail blazer 4.3 which went well but after getting the truck running I put it in gear to drive and it shook a little then cut off then I noticed it had ran hot in a matter of minutes. I popped the hood and checked my water and anti freeze and it was dry...My friend checked my oil and it looked like coffee with heavy cream! My friend think's I have a blown gasket some where but I can't really afford to get it fixed. My question is can I use a gasket sealer to fix the problem and if so which one is best to use?

Old 10-21-2011, 03:44 AM
DySfUnCtIoNaL is on a distinguished road

That stuff doesn't work, you would just end up clogging the radiator.

Most likely a head gasket change is what you're gonna have to do.

Old 10-21-2011, 07:32 AM
Starting Member
bromanjr is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by limited edition 1
Ok guy's I just replaced my fuel pump in my 2001 limited edition trail blazer 4.3 which went well but after getting the truck running I put it in gear to drive and it shook a little then cut off then I noticed it had ran hot in a matter of minutes. I popped the hood and checked my water and anti freeze and it was dry...My friend checked my oil and it looked like coffee with heavy cream! My friend think's I have a blown gasket some where but I can't really afford to get it fixed. My question is can I use a gasket sealer to fix the problem and if so which one is best to use?
Like you guessed, Could be a leaky intake gasket, more common than a head gasket on these engines. I would take the top apart first and check intake for leaks.

One caution, if you drive it like that you will destroy the bearings in the engine. You must change the oil if it is milky.

Old 10-21-2011, 10:50 AM
Beginning Member

But will the sealant work bromanjr

Old 10-21-2011, 10:56 AM
Starting Member
bromanjr is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by limited edition 1
But will the sealant work bromanjr
My opinion, no, the gaskets fail completely, they cannot be re-sealed, they must be replaced.

Old 10-21-2011, 11:12 AM
Beginning Member

ok thx

Old 10-21-2011, 02:31 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

hopefully it was intake...not that terrible of a job, just takes all day or so if you doing it yourself. it took me 12hrs to do mine. was well worth the cash i saved vs paying for the labor.

Old 01-27-2023, 10:50 AM
Daddy13Carlos is on a distinguished road
Default Lost

00 chevy blazer 4.3 vortex. So my truck overheated and blow out my top hose and cracked my radiator.. I changed the spark plugs and radiator. Aswell as oil change. 1 spark plug had gunk. It's still a heavy smog grayish white coming out. Idk if heads are worpped. Should I do an intake or head gasket replacement..it's not leaking coolant.it doesn't turn off not shaky engine.i have less than a hundred and I have the tools as well as the Hayne book.feel confident to make it happen.. need of feed back..

Old 01-27-2023, 11:07 AM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Daddy13Carlos
00 chevy blazer 4.3 vortex. So my truck overheated and blow out my top hose and cracked my radiator.. I changed the spark plugs and radiator. Aswell as oil change. 1 spark plug had gunk. It's still a heavy smog grayish white coming out. Idk if heads are worpped. Should I do an intake or head gasket replacement..it's not leaking coolant.it doesn't turn off not shaky engine.i have less than a hundred and I have the tools as well as the Hayne book.feel confident to make it happen.. need of feed back..
FYI, reviving old threads to ask your question is not the best practices. You'll get more responses posting a new thread in the correct area.

Good chance you have a blown lower intake gasket too if you overheated and have smoke when running. It's likely leaking coolant into the combustion chamber. It's a long job to change it, but it's certainly doable yourself, but plan on it taking at least all day, if not more.

Be sure to get the better quality felpro gaskets. Well worth the higher cost.