2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Head Light Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 09:03 PM
KIllarb634 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Head Light Problem

Ok, Everytime I have the car on the head lights are always on, 98 blazer. It doesn't matter what position the light selector is in the lights are always on? Has this happened to anyone else? How did you trouble shot? What was your outcome?

Thanks in advance

Brian

Old 03-10-2007, 09:42 PM
lastcoupe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Head Light Problem

I'll have to double check for sure, but I think all 98 and newer blazers have automatic headlamps. They come on when the ambient light sensor sees a "dark" condition. If yours are always on...I'd bet you (or someone else) has recently installed or otherwise modified the dash speakers? The light sensor is mounted in the right dash speaker grille, see if it is unplugged and if not you could just have a bad sensor. Let us know what you find.

Oh yeah, I've also seen a newspaper or magazine left on top of the sensor. That would cause this too

Old 03-10-2007, 09:42 PM
2Tone is an unknown quantity at this point

Your lights are on because they are daytime running lights. you can push the dome override button a couple of times until you hear a "ding". That will shut them off but you would have to do that every time you start the car. Or you can just take the relay out.

Old 03-10-2007, 11:05 PM

Alright thanks, They are on in the day as well I guess the DRL would make sense. Where is the relay for the DRL located?

Thanks

Old 03-12-2007, 06:46 PM
JustBlaze! is an unknown quantity at this point

Out of curiosity, why do you want to disable your daytime running lights? It's considered a safety feature - so little old ladies driving down the street can see you coming I live in upstate NY and Geico actually takes a few bucks off my premium becuase of DRL.

Old 03-12-2007, 09:33 PM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

There's a relay under the hood you need to bend/cut one of the pins on... I forget which pin it is, though...

Old 03-12-2007, 09:39 PM
speeddemon560 is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: drperry

There's a relay under the hood you need to bend/cut one of the pins on... I forget which pin it is, though...
Pin #85 or #86 is it?

Old 03-12-2007, 09:42 PM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

One of the two, if I wasn't so comfortable, I'd go check my relay, lol... I'll see if I can get around to it tomorrow or maybe later tonight.

Old 03-24-2007, 05:24 AM

Well the sensor under the speaker is plugged in. Can't figure out how to get them off. I read on hear pressing the dome override would shut them off, but it didn't. Any other ideas

Old 03-24-2007, 07:50 AM
BF Veteran

Are your park/tail/dash lights on all the time too, or just your low or highbeams?

If you're in Canada, you will NOT be able to disable the automatic lights, without the resistor modification...

As for the DRLs you can leave the parking brake on one click, and they should stay off...

Quick Reply: Head Light Problem