2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Head Light Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 04:43 PM
Beginning Member
davesipes is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by KIllarb634
Ok, Everytime I have the car on the head lights are always on, 98 blazer. It doesn't matter what position the light selector is in the lights are always on? Has this happened to anyone else? How did you trouble shot? What was your outcome?

Thanks in advance

Brian
I have found that pulling the DRL relay will disable the daytime running lights. This relay, at least on my 03, is under the hood and identified on the diagram for the fuse box. Removing it had a major issue, in that the driver's side high beam would not function. For now it is back in place so my lamps are always on. I have not tried eliminating one pin as some other posts have mentioned. Separate from this is the auto on feature for nighttime. That to is driving me nuts so I am investigating the resistor in place of the sensor in the dash. I want to control my lamps.... Good luck,

Dave

Old 07-09-2009, 10:22 AM
Big Keith is on a distinguished road

I pulled the fuse to the DRL on my 98. Blazer does anyone know how to stop the automatic lights I hate them ???

Old 07-09-2009, 11:28 AM
okvortec is on a distinguished road

OK, to clarify which lights are actually on so we can determine if it's your running lights or your headlights, look at the pic below. Do they lights look like that or only the two small, inner lights next to the lowbeams lit up? To turn off the automatic lights push the **** next to the headlight swtich 4 times in 2 seconds or less.

Old 07-09-2009, 12:02 PM

my DRL are off I pulled the fuse. it's that automatic light sensor that's pissing me off I like to have control of my lights. I will try that **** thing thanks

Old 07-09-2009, 02:57 PM
bandidolenny is on a distinguished road

I tried pulling my DRL relay but ended up with only one headlight when the lights were turned on. So pulling the DRL fuse will disable them?.. I will try that next.
The automatic lights don't bug me too much but I ride motorcycles and can't stand DRL's on cars.

OK... I just got done looking for the DRL fuse... there isn't one, only a relay. So I guess I will get into the wiring and figure out how to eliminate the DRL's but that is a project for another day.

Last edited by bandidolenny; 07-09-2009 at 07:03 PM.
Old 07-10-2009, 12:22 AM

Where did you look under the hood or in the dash mine was under the hood it is a black fuse with a white arrow like line on top of it. take off the cover to the fuse box & look inside of it there should be a diagram

Old 07-10-2009, 01:20 AM
NVANZEE will become famous soon enough

to disable the DRLs you have to bend on of the tabs on the relay. Do a seach and you will see. For the auto headlights you have to replace the sensor with a resistor. I think ist a 2.2k ohm not sure. do a search for that too.

Old 07-10-2009, 02:41 AM
BF Veteran
kiwiblazer is on a distinguished road

So let me get this straight. My truck does not have DRL's. So....

The DRL's are in the same housing/refector as the low beams. Or have I got it wrong?

Is it, in the US anyway, the little lamps on the outside (ends) of the headlamp? On our vehicles these are the parking lamps.

Old 07-10-2009, 03:20 AM
Ugly_Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point

On my truck the drl's are the highbeams. drivers side has a blue wire instead of a ground, what it does is when drl'd are on it switches a relay that causes power to be fed through the DRL resistor and it back feeds across both headlights to the passenger side ground.

essentialy one ground is being turned into a half voltage (because of the drl resistor) hot wire, lol.

i dont know about the 98+ but i would asume its a similar setup. i think the wire colors are diff though.

Old 07-10-2009, 09:33 AM
okvortec is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by kiwiblazer

Is it, in the US anyway, the little lamps on the outside (ends) of the headlamp? On our vehicles these are the parking lamps.
The DRL's are the inner highbeams turned on a less bright setting. Just enough to see, not enough to light up the road or anything.

Quick Reply: Head Light Problem