2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Headlights flicker while braking

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 06:02 AM
Beginning Member
kgpace is on a distinguished road
Default Headlights flicker while braking

Hello Forum. I have recently noticed that there is a slight flicker of the lights when tapping the brakes on a 1997 Blazer. One time it actually shut off at idle when engaging the light switch. Could this be a ground issue? I have been told that there are combined or stacked grounds on the frame that are a common problem. Switch possibly? Any help is very much appreciated.

I observed the lights early this morning and it seems to be more prevalent, sitting at idle tapping the brakes.

Old 04-03-2010, 03:52 PM
Beginning Member
4pt9fiero is on a distinguished road

I would start by cleaning up the grounds, cheapest fix you will find. At 13 years old, I wouldn't be surprised if you had some corrosion.

Old 04-03-2010, 06:34 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks for the reply. Where would the major grounds be located?

Old 12-29-2010, 10:33 PM
Beginning Member
street101 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Omg

mine too starter went out and i replaced it , then it started back up this dimming of lights has me puzzled i put new power and grounds and i have HID's they shouldn't flicker at all, did you come up with an answer? i even had the alt tested and they said it was good to go???????????????????????????????????????????????? ????????????????????????

Old 12-29-2010, 11:13 PM
Beginning Member
hillwilliam2 is on a distinguished road

I had this as well for several months. It was time for a new battery this past fall, and when I put it in, I noticed that I did not have the flickering when braking anymore. Maybe check the age/wear on your battery.

Old 12-30-2010, 07:17 PM
Beginning Member
Default Fixed problem

Originally Posted by street101
mine too starter went out and i replaced it , then it started back up this dimming of lights has me puzzled i put new power and grounds and i have HID's they shouldn't flicker at all, did you come up with an answer? i even had the alt tested and they said it was good to go???????????????????????????????????????????????? ????????????????????????
Yep, after months I actually found the problem that was causing so many maladies including anti lock coming on and low charge rate. On my 97 there is a small black junction box drivers side, on fender near anti lock system. I removed the plastic cover and there are 4 heavy hot wires that feed several items in the vehicle. One of those was melted and heavily corroded. The other three were getting corroded too. I repaired the two wires and cleaned the others and reinstalled it. No more problems and the alternator and fuel gauge actually read correct now. I believe that a diagram shows that as an under hood connection or junction. Hope it works for you.

Old 12-31-2010, 02:30 AM
KHS1907 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by kgpace
Yep, after months I actually found the problem that was causing so many maladies including anti lock coming on and low charge rate. On my 97 there is a small black junction box drivers side, on fender near anti lock system. I removed the plastic cover and there are 4 heavy hot wires that feed several items in the vehicle. One of those was melted and heavily corroded. The other three were getting corroded too. I repaired the two wires and cleaned the others and reinstalled it. No more problems and the alternator and fuel gauge actually read correct now. I believe that a diagram shows that as an under hood connection or junction. Hope it works for you.
AHHHH this sounds like it could be my problem too! Ive been having circut open and erratic signal codes from my abs system with the abs coming on in the last phase of braking (<15mph) and now that its been mentioned my headlights flicker too under braking. Thabks will look for that box!

Old 01-02-2011, 03:42 PM
Beginning Member
street101 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation

Yeah its crazy wires and the " JACK WAGON " that had my truck before me had it slammed and took the inner fenders out i checked my wires on the drivers and the heavy hot red wire with a 30A fuse is bad from water, I had ADDHD and i found this out before I came back here, I cut all the plastic off the wires ran them down and the two wires that run from the ALT. go there should have known that dealing with my older chevy C10's well i'll do you guys one better I'm leaving right know I'm going to get a BAT. and REPLACE the 30A fuse and REDO the wires and that junction box on the drivers fender, WE WILL GET TO THE BOTTOM OF THIS

I have changed the starter, alt, and bat. but the bat. was from the junk yard but dated 5/10 i'm still going to get a new one.