2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

hellllllp!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 08:23 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

X2 I agree. Probably not the PCM, far more of them are replaced due to misdiagnosis than actually go bad. Get the DTC's and post them here in the order they are retrieved. Make sure all monitors have completed before retrieving them though.

Last edited by Captain Hook; 02-26-2013 at 08:25 PM.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:03 PM
Starting Member
ol' grouch is on a distinguished road

There are a couple of things I would look at. I've seen a failing Crank Position Sensor (CPS) cause similar problems but when I saw you had problems in damp weather, I began to think "coil". Coils go bad so rarely, it's something often over looked. However, I replaced a bunch of coils on mid 80's to mid 90's GM vehicles. Now, I don't know if you have one coil or a coil pack. I'm assuming one coil since you have a distributor. See if you can find a known good coil and swap it in.

Not all your symptoms seem to be fuel related. I suspect possible faulty electrical components.

Old 02-26-2013, 09:16 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Coil is a good possibility, (only has one coil). 1995 equipped with OBDI, no crank sensor.

Old 02-27-2013, 05:36 PM
Beginning Member
steff628 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well today, it's been raining. Service engine light came on a few days ago, but started and ran fine, went to drive up a road with a slight hill, and the thing just dies. No sputter no warning just quits. Tried resetting the battery / computer and will not start. My brother seems to think it's my crank sensor underneath the car, because there is no covering on it. It ran all day fine, and yesterday when it poured.

Old 02-27-2013, 05:58 PM

What DTC's are in memory? Have them retrieved and post them here in the order they are retrieved and we can help you diagnose the problem.

If there is a DTC for the crankshaft position sensor, or its circuits, follow the flow chart to diagonse it. Don't replace the sensor unless it instructs you to replace it. You will need to perform the crankshaft position sensor relearn which requires a high end scan tool.

Have you checked fuel pressure and leakdown?

Old 03-09-2013, 08:51 PM
Beginning Member

Ok guys i have just a quick question. I ended up buying an 05 trailblazer with 96k miles on it. Drives great "except" when i reach 55 mph, the car sort of hesitates or shudders i guess you could say and my rpms fluctuate between 1 and 2rpm. I just today noticed this. I did buy from a car lot and bought extended warranty. Is this my transmission going out?

Old 03-09-2013, 09:15 PM

4.2L or 5.3L engine? What is the 8th character in the VIN? Is the check engine light on? What DTC's in memory?

Old 03-09-2013, 10:21 PM
Beginning Member

4.2. s is the 8th character no light on

Old 03-10-2013, 01:27 PM

With no SES light, it means there's a problem with something that is not monitored by OBDII, possibly fuel delivery. Have you checked the fuel filter for restriction? If you paid for extended warranty, take it back and have the dealer fix it. That's what warranties are for

Old 03-10-2013, 03:03 PM
Starting Member
Spree is on a distinguished road

Check your transmission fluid and fill! Then look for your leak.