2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 12:00 AM
2001_zr2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default HELP!!!

Alright i have a 2001 blazer ZR2 with about 91000 miles on it. this past summer my radiator cracked, then about a month ago my distributor cap and rotor had to be replaced. Then my transmission went out, weak sun shell and some other stuff. but now about two days ago i took my truck to grease pro to get my oil changed, and i figured i would get it washed at the same time. well they did all that, went to wash it, wiped it all down on the inside and what not, and i got in to drive it and about 2 minutes after driving it smoke started coming out of my steering wheel[sm=WTFsgign.gif] and i pulled over to make sure it wasnt on fire, and it wasnt. i checked everything and it worked and still works.

i searched smoke out of steering wheel and the dude said that the car didnt turn off when he turned the key, but mine did, and still does.

HEEELLLLPPPP

Old 12-10-2008, 03:11 AM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: HELP!!!

How much smoke are we talking? I've had a wisp of smoke come out on my dad's 2000 Explorer, out of the hazard switch opening...but by the time I looked back to watch, it was done. Not really sure what happened, and everything worked fine before, during, and since...very weird either way

Old 12-10-2008, 06:27 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I would, at the very least, drop the isolator panel under the dash on the driver side and pull the trim covers off of the column to see if you can find the source of the smoke. It is possible that the shop got some cleaner down around the hazard switch that temporarily shorted something out and left nothing worse for the wear.

Just make sure that your hazards, horn, turns, brake lights, etc all still work properly. Tilt the wheel through its full range of motion while you test.

Old 12-11-2008, 08:06 PM
2001_zr2 is an unknown quantity at this point

alright ill pull it all off, but now my blinker blinks really fast. and i figured one of the bulbs were out, but they all work

Old 12-11-2008, 08:15 PM
stevo is an unknown quantity at this point

the smoke thing happened to me and it lasted for 3 days
at first i thought it was the a/c
then i realized it wasnt and then it went away before i could investigate
maybe our blazers are haunted
but i can almost gaurentee you its nothing serious or nothing at all
cleaner could have gotten on some wires and maybe it was just urning it off, idk
but dont worry it should go away

Old 12-12-2008, 10:09 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

A fast acting turn signal is a direct sign of a bad bulb. Make sure to check your corner marker lights front and rear for proper activation. Compare side to side if only one side is blinking fast.

Old 12-12-2008, 01:13 PM
Starting Member
dBsound is an unknown quantity at this point

My old 95 POS would put little puffs of smoke out of the climate fan ****. I kept wishing it'd burn it to the ground, but it never happened!

Old 12-12-2008, 02:19 PM
Starting Member
95Blzr is an unknown quantity at this point

WhenI was doing my alarm install on my 98 apparently one of the skinny constant 12v wires had rubbed off to the point of bare wire(ignition harness). It was grounding itself to the metal making a clicking noiseand some smoke. I taped it all up. This is just a fyi as everything under there was untouched prior to me installing the alarm. Probably the cause of my guage cluster fuse blowing.