2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

help with 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 04:54 PM
Beginning Member
Valicswarrior is on a distinguished road

okay so update i discovered that i have vacuum at the check valve and i believe that the valve is working properly. But I do not get vacuum at the actuator. Could i in theory put a T in the line at the check valve and install a new hose and run it to the actuator when i want 4 wheel drive? like a manual connection.

Old 11-28-2011, 04:59 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

The check valve only allows vacuum to flow in one direction. The side with two fittings are connected to each other and show flow easily in both directions. The single fitting that goes toward the engine, you should only be able to suck on, not blow into You're better off diagnosing and fixing properly. Keep in mind when working on vehicles.... it usually takes longer and costs more to cobble it than it does to fix it properly

Old 11-28-2011, 09:05 PM
Beginning Member

i am leaving for the US navy in a couple months need 4x4 for the snow in the mean time and the truck has 200k on it don't wanna put a dime into it that i don't need to because i won't get any of my money back on this thing. so if i can rig it to give me 4 wheel drive when i need it then that would work for me. no offense intended with this reply and in the pic u post of the valve air should be able to flow from the bottom hose and the right one in either direction and air should go from left to right only or right to left?

Old 11-28-2011, 09:35 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

First, thank you for your service! Be safe.

The single fitting that goes to the engine: you should only be able to suck on it, not blow into it. The check valve is designed to keep vacuum applied to both systems and the reservoir, under low vacuum conditions in the intake manifold, (acceleration).

Old 11-28-2011, 11:14 PM
Beginning Member

ok so in that case my check valve is good and i have vacuum at the point and last i checked my heat worked properly i will reconnect everything tomorrow and double check the heat but if its working properly where should i be looking know i have no vacuum at the actuator but vacuum at the check valve and for the hvac system

Old 11-29-2011, 02:23 PM
Beginning Member

ok so update. i could not located my problem in the vacuum system, so i installed a T from the line coming from the manifold and sent a new line in the direction of the actuator. something i would have to connect manually when i want the actuator in engage i hooked it up and the wheel still did not lock and idea whats next?

Old 11-29-2011, 02:37 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

There is absolutely nothing new in this thread that hasn't already been covered in tech articles. Please take a look at the '4wd no worky' thread in the Tech Article (DIY) Index (link found in my signature below). It covers what you are going through quite well.

Old 11-29-2011, 02:41 PM
Beginning Member

so far lookin in this article it seems to stop explaining right where i am i put vacuum to my actuator and i have no 4 wheel still

Old 11-29-2011, 03:17 PM

Does the actuator pull the cable when you apply vacuum to the actuator?

Old 11-29-2011, 07:48 PM
Beginning Member

yes it does and from i'm hearing its the appropriate amount. I wasn't sure I thought it should depress all the way but i was told it doesn't it is about 3/4" ish

Quick Reply: help with 4x4