2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Help anyone please, need to know what name of part is

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006 | 03:48 AM
|
pigmak is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help anyone please, need to know what name of part is

hey whats up everyone. I would love some help here asap. I have an 01 xtreme. My key has been giving me problems releasing after shutting truck off. I took apart the stuff to find a small silver cylinder housed in white plastic. The silver cyllinder has a little button under it, when you push the button the key will release. Does anyone know what this is called. I am nt talking about the ignition cylinder, its more of a silver fuse looking thing about an inch and a half big. I wish I had a pic. I wish I knew what I was looking for or how to replace it. I can stick a piece of tape to keep button in, but this would mean I can take the key out anytime at all, even while in gear. Can anyone help please. When working properly I turn key back and the little button goes in, the problem is it does not always go in, it sticks out, not letting me get key back. Anyone know what this is called, it is right next to ignition cylinder. Thank you

Old 11-28-2006 | 04:26 AM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: Help anyone please, need to know what name of part is

Is this a column shift?

(1) Shift Lever Assembly
(2) Upper Shroud
(3) Inflatable Restraint Steering Wheel Module Coil
(4) C214
(5) Multifunction Switch
(6) Park Lock Solenoid Connector (w/ Floor Shift), A/T Shift Lock Solenoid Connector (w/ Column Shift)
(7) A/T Shift Lock Control Solenoid (w/ Column Shift)
(8) C211
(9) Park Lock Solenoid Connector (w/ Floor Shift)
(10) Passlockā„¢ Sensor Connector
(11) Ignition Switch and Ignition Key Alarm Switch

[IMG]local://upfiles/2910/3E77511D9F2A40A6870CFD95721637C7.gif[/IMG]

Old 11-28-2006 | 04:32 AM
|

thaks for responding soo quick. The shift is on the floor, not column. Looking at the lock cylinder, to the right side there is a whit plastic housing holding a silver, almost c battery looking thing. Under the silver thing is a bronze button which when I turn key goes in so it releases, it does not always go in. It likes to stick out. I made an appointment at a mechanic, but really dread going there.

*Combining consecutive posts*

thanks for the diagram, but I do not see the part. This silver battery looking thing is vertical. I really think it is the prob, but do not know if I can replace just this. The mechanic said it may just be an electronic switch, but this button is sticking out when it should go in.

*EDIT by swartlkk* - cleaning up consecutive posts - please edit your last post if another member has not yet replied - Thank you!

Old 11-28-2006 | 04:36 AM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

If you click on the pic I posted it will enlarge. Does it look like #9...the park lock solenoid?

Old 11-28-2006 | 04:46 AM
|

It is kinda hard to tell, but that could be it, its just a silver little cylinder, like I said, in a white plastic housing. It has a bronze button coming out of bottom, and to the right of that a little gray clip on to that pops button out . thank you so much for help, you are great

*Cleaning up consecutive posts*

would my best bet be going to a dealer, pointing out part and seeing if I can replace it. Do normal stores carry this.

*EDIT by swartlkk* - cleaning up consecutive posts - please edit your last post if another member has not yet replied - Thank you!

Old 11-28-2006 | 04:52 AM
BF Veteran

how about # 30, (30) Steering Column Electric Park Lock .
I don't know if the parts jobbers will carry that, once you identify the part you could always ask
Here's a pic of the column with a floor shifter.

[IMG]local://upfiles/2910/2643A8D5724F4BBFB27A04013713C977.gif[/IMG]

Old 11-28-2006 | 05:04 AM
|

better pic

[IMG]local://upfiles/4435/2A883139A2D048B9B04EA2236AEEB445.jpg[/IMG]

*Cleaning up consecutive posts*

looks kinda like # 30, what do ya think. steering column electric park lock

Old 11-28-2006 | 05:16 AM
BF Veteran

I think that might be it.

Old 11-28-2006 | 05:17 AM
|

thank you the more I look at it, I think so too. Is this hard to replace or find? yhank you for your time. Can I just replace the part I hope.

Old 11-28-2006 | 05:26 AM
BF Veteran

It looks like you just disconnect the wire and then pry the park lock off.
Let me know how it works out for you.

[IMG]local://upfiles/2910/D1985B255261470DB021663E29D78394.gif[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Help anyone please, need to know what name of part is