2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Help asap

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 05:18 PM
sevendust4774 is on a distinguished road
Default Help asap

Batteries dead locks r seized cant get into my truck?

Old 01-10-2010, 05:32 PM
RonJon is an unknown quantity at this point

Way I see it you have 3 choices: Hammer to a window, penetrating oil and work at the locks, jack the truck up & hook a battery charger to the big + terminal on the starter - charge the battery.

Old 01-10-2010, 05:42 PM
Starting Member
blazeitupdrgonzo is on a distinguished road

Hooking a battery charger to the positive terminal on the starter will charge the battery? Do you just hook the ground to any ground on the truck? Thats a dumb question- - yes i know. I like to be safe rather than sorry

Old 01-10-2010, 05:59 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Why are all the door locks seized? A dead battery should not prevent the door key from working the locks.

Old 01-10-2010, 06:10 PM

You can ground to anything, that is anything that's a solid ground. Frame or any brackets attached to it or engine & brackets. The big terminal on the starter is cabled directly to the battery. Of course it IS hairy hooking a charger in there but desperate times call for desperate measures. I'm assuming he always uses the the remote and neither of the locks has had a key in it for years and they're frozen.

Old 01-10-2010, 06:24 PM
Starting Member
awe341 is on a distinguished road

It is winter time, locks tend to freeze up a lot when it gets cold and icy out.

You can charge the battery as suggested by connecting the positive led on the charger to the starter positive wire and the neg to any good ground on the truck.. (note that you may want to disconnect the wire from the starter itself first)
If your battery charger is strong enough you may be able to unlock with your remote right away. Jumper cables from another car will work as well.

You can also try to get one of your locks unfrozen. A good penetrating oil mixed with rubbing alcohol works very well. Failing that a few seconds under a pen torch lighter is usually enough.

Just remember not to force it or you could either break the key off in there or damage the locking mechanism. It's probably best to work on a passenger door or the back hatch rather then the driver side door in case the lock does get damaged in the attempt.

Failing all of that there is also the slimjim method. Google how to do that for your particular vehicle and you should have your door open in no time. And without breaking a window to do it.

Old 01-10-2010, 06:29 PM
ty.justin is on a distinguished road

id prefer the slim jim method....matco has an awesome lock out kit with a bag and wedge...got one for about $75....but recently when my battery died the ignition wouldnt release the key.......had to take the dash off and do manual release....talked to someone at the dealership...said it was a new safety feature...dont know how....just word to the wise to all who read this....mine is a 2005 trailblazer

Old 01-10-2010, 06:57 PM
Starting Member
blazeitupdrgonzo is on a distinguished road

I know when my locks were froze on my 88 s10 blaze I got a bottle of methonol hydrate from walmart for 2.97 and put it in a visine container and used that to squirt it into the keyhole. Make sure you throw away the visine/methonol container after incase somone uses it not knowing whats in there.

Old 02-07-2010, 04:27 PM
sevendust4774 is on a distinguished road
Default thanks guys

i actually had a genius idea of stiping my amp wire and putting a charger on that and back feeding into the battery worked great! now about the locks there all seized up i never use my key ive stuck the straw of WD and sprayed the **** outta them still nothing how would i get them lubed up and working?

Old 02-07-2010, 05:03 PM

Get some PB blaster & spray it in there. Take a lighter, warm the key up and try turning it back & forth. (don't break the key off, be patient) Warm the key back up and try again. More Blaster. Might be helpful if you let the can of blaster warm up in a sink of hot water first, trying to remove ice and crud with warm lubricant can only help.

Quick Reply: Help asap