2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

help a noob out

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 08:48 AM
spottydotty is on a distinguished road
Default help a noob out

hey everyone in New to this forum and also a new owner of a 97 blazer 4x4. most of the issues I've had with her I've handled but there are a few I'd like some advice on. first the notorious long crank cold no start. I've yet to check the fuel pressure but my wife's brother who is an amazing mechanic says he's positive the spider has some sort of leak that's causing it to flood but I'm not sure about that. if there was a leak im sure it would be an incessant issue and not just during the first start of the day. it does take much more than three times to start and starting fluid doesn't help much. next once the fuel tank is full it starts overflowing at the connection of the fill hose to the tank/fuel pump. dropped the tank replaced vent and gasket and snap ring looked tight put it back up and same problem. any ideas? could this contribute to the starting issue? next and worst is a crack through the frame behind the passenger side shock. goes all the way through. welded it where I could reach without dropping the motor and axle but any tips on fixing that? I'm sure I need a new frame but doesn't hurt to ask. that's my main issues for the time being any advice would be greatly appreciated thanks guys!

Old 03-24-2016, 10:06 AM
Rusty Nuts is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the forum. Fuel tank fill necks rotting apart and leaking are a common issue. I agree with you that your hard starting is caused by a problem with the fuel system. The results of a fuel pressure and leak down test will save some expensive guessing. The cracked frame is a scary question to answer responsibly. A pic would help.

Old 03-25-2016, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by Rusty Nuts
Welcome to the forum. Fuel tank fill necks rotting apart and leaking are a common issue. I agree with you that your hard starting is caused by a problem with the fuel system. The results of a fuel pressure and leak down test will save some expensive guessing. The cracked frame is a scary question to answer responsibly. A pic would help.
thanks for the response rusty I'll snap a picture of the frame when I get off work. I rented a fuel pressure gauge so I should have that reading available this weekend. also she needs a new thermostat. temps barely rise after even twenty minutes of driving. could this also be an issue?

Old 03-25-2016, 09:44 AM
Rusty Nuts is on a distinguished road

Yes, but I'd get to the cooling system after the fuel delivery problem is fixed. I've never had to call a tow truck because my engine wouldn't warm up to operating temp.

Old 03-25-2016, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Rusty Nuts
Yes, but I'd get to the cooling system after the fuel delivery problem is fixed. I've never had to call a tow truck because my engine wouldn't warm up to operating temp.
haha yea that's a good point I'll shoot an update soon as I'm able

Old 03-29-2016, 08:23 PM
Beginning Member
mark1025 is on a distinguished road

Did you change the fuel filter?

Old 03-29-2016, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by mark1025
Did you change the fuel filter?
yea I did plus oil filter. oil. headlights. front rear shocks. spark plugs. air filter.etc.

Old 03-30-2016, 06:49 AM
Tajohns34 is on a distinguished road

I would defiantly address the frame. Maybe find a professional frame shop and have them look at it. I don't think that would be the kind of thing that I would want to address on my own.

Old 04-01-2016, 03:59 PM
Beginning Member
mark1025 is on a distinguished road

I had a crack in the frame of my 1979 1/2 ton. My buddy welded it. The crack was in the rear right where the shock mounted. 4 years later the weld was good and no further cracks. That truck spent lots of time in the woods. 6inch lift 36 inch ground hogs.
I miss that truck.