2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Help please, somthing cathching??????

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 11:24 PM
Beginning Member
Bielat16 is on a distinguished road
Question Help please, somthing cathching??????

Hello,

I own a 2000 GMC Jimmy, SLS, 4X4, No ZR2 package, I have always had a slight vibration in the vehicle front to back. My dad said it was from bigger tires, they are Grabber AT2 30' on stack wheel. They have been balanced right when I put them on from a shop I was recommended to. I rotate them every 5,000, no sign of couping. So the viberation never got real bad so I just said its just the tires. I know a wheel bearing is over due but it dosent make sense that it would be what problem is, it hasnt been humming and didnt feel bad sense I just did a break change 200 miles ago.

My poblem is in the last couple days, when I have it at 1100 rpm's and higher it acts like somthing is catch and drops it a 100 rmps and sounds like it is under a load for 5 to 10 seconds. Then it jumps a 100 rpms and sounds like it should. It happens on level or on grade roads, I thought maybe my brakes are sticking. I felt them after wrok tonight and they are cold. Tried spraying them brake fluid and took it for a ride got at the bottom of my drive way. Thought maybe it is my cv, pushed the button for 4X4 it blinked and didnt go in. It will go into 4 low but not high.

Is the vib from my trans forcase? why will it go in 4 low and not high????

Thanks
Stephen

Old 09-16-2010, 04:32 PM
step66 is an unknown quantity at this point

Dude: Look at your U-joints!-Check tranny fluid level-look for leaks! Bad CV shafts as well as quite possibly. Bad hubs? Problem with the switch issues have been covered here
as well. You will solve this problem-easy! Suerte! W3

Old 09-16-2010, 04:49 PM
BF Veteran
Benedict1337 will become famous soon enough

cv's are pretty easy to tell if they are bad. check for rips in the boots or if the boots are completely off. When a cv completely goes out you'll know it. I'd check the tranny fluid maybe even replace it (I know I'm overdue). The hubs probably aren't the culprit mine were pretty bad and when I replaced them there wasn't a noticible ride quality difference. you just don't want your hubs to completely fail that would be bad. Another thing I noticed you didn't mention anything about an allignment I'd go and get an alignment if you haven't lately even if your stearing doesn't seem to be off you may be out of alignment running those 30" tires that does help the ride qualitly alot, and if you take it in for an allignment you can ask most shops to look over your truck and explain to them what your truck does, most of the time the have somewhat of an idea what is wrong and know what to look for.

Old 09-17-2010, 10:22 AM
Beginning Member

I just ordered two new cv's and two new hubs. I checked the trany fluid it is a little low. Im going down today to get fluid and change it. I have had it aligned twice. I think the actuator could be bad. I will keep everyone posted after I do all my work.

Thanks for all the help so far
Stephen

Old 09-26-2010, 05:10 PM
Beginning Member

Well I fixed all my vibration in my jimmy. I replaces both my hubs and both my cvs. My passenger side cv was shot, took it for a ride and no vibration at all. I still don't know why it wont go into four wheel drive? I think it is my actuator in my front differential, has anyone had it go out before?