2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Help w my 99 no start, have fuel and spark

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 06:04 PM
Beginning Member
shnafu is on a distinguished road

Thx everyone for all your time and suggestions! I have the day off Sunday so I'll let u guys know how it goes. I'm gonna try the camshaft sensor disconnect trick ( if that's right) I have a spark tester I'll try it again from the distributor between the spark plug and see if I get a light unless there is another way, I tried using a wire in distributor to a ground and no spark but I don't know if that will work anyway, the first time I tried the spark tester I got no light, but since it did start the one time I just assumed it had spark. Thx again and I'll keep u guys posted
You guys are awesome!

Old 05-31-2014, 06:52 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Don't be concerned with the camshaft position sensor, (unless you've been instructed by a flow chart). Disconnecting it will not affect the way the engine starts or runs. I mentioned that earlier to help explain what the sensor does, and how the PCM uses the data for misfire detection, that's all the sensor does.

Remove the fuel pump relay and use the spark tester on each plug wire while cranking the starter. Must be a rythmic, not erratic, blue, not orange, spark on each wire.

Old 06-05-2014, 01:08 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
Don't be concerned with the camshaft position sensor, (unless you've been instructed by a flow chart). Disconnecting it will not affect the way the engine starts or runs. I mentioned that earlier to help explain what the sensor does, and how the PCM uses the data for misfire detection, that's all the sensor does.

Remove the fuel pump relay and use the spark tester on each plug wire while cranking the starter. Must be a rythmic, not erratic, blue, not orange, spark on each wire.
Ok Capt Hook, I started a spark
test on each wire, then accidentally broke the #1 wire, so I figured need new wires now, anyway I put the spark tester on #5 wire , and when I checked the engine started, I thought it was a fluke , but the engine started 3more times on 5 cylinders so ya it ran rough. So I bought new wires and the car started once, but has not started again, I don't understand, yesterday I tried putting the #1 cyl at TDC to see if the distributor is out of line, it looks like it's off. But if is was off would it have started at all, because when it did start it wasn't missing, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-05-2014, 05:23 PM
Beginning Member
Default Disregard

Disregard previous post, it's at TDC and rotor lines up perfectly, which would explain why when it does start it's timing sounds perfect.
I'm at my wits end and my wife needs her car by Monday to take the kids to California... I have to stay behind to work, but if it's not fixed they gotta cancel. Don't know where to go from here to diagnose

Old 06-05-2014, 10:15 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Are the distributor cap and rotor both AC Delco? Did you check fuel pressure when it wouldn't start?

Old 06-06-2014, 03:06 AM
Beginning Member

Are the distributor cap and rotor both AC Delco? Did you check fuel pressure when it wouldn't start?
No, they're cheapies , and I know u don't want to hear that, it could be the problem, I'm thinking it could be the camshaft retard as u suggested earlier, the only thing that puzzles me is the few times it did start in this 2 week process it idles perfectly, and then when I did the spark test again the other day it fired up on just 5 cyl. And I did that 3 times and it started each time, then when I replaced all the spark plug wires... Nothing

Old 06-06-2014, 03:07 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by shnafu
No, they're cheapies , and I know u don't want to hear that, it could be the problem, I'm thinking it could be the camshaft retard as u suggested earlier, the only thing that puzzles me is the few times it did start in this 2 week process it idles perfectly, and then when I did the spark test again the other day it fired up on just 5 cyl. And I did that 3 times and it started each time, then when I replaced all the spark plug wires... Nothing
Oh and fuel pressure is 64 and leak down is very minimal like 2 or 3 psi over 10 min, and I did the fuel pressure test 4 times just to be sure

Old 06-06-2014, 03:50 PM

I'm not saying the distributor cap is definitely the problem, but it's worth a try.

Old 06-06-2014, 08:54 PM
Beginning Member

I'm not saying the distributor cap is definitely the problem, but it's worth a try.
Ok , I'll try switching out the cap, thx Capt!

Old 06-06-2014, 11:04 PM
spittybays

wrong I SEE YOU CHANGED THEWIRES .

Last edited by spittybays; 06-08-2014 at 08:00 PM.

Quick Reply: Help w my 99 no start, have fuel and spark