2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Hesitation Upon Starting

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2018, 10:29 PM
Beginning Member
David12 is on a distinguished road
Default Hesitation Upon Starting

I have a 96 Blazer that hesitates when starts but if I turn it off an on again it works perfectly fine, so far, I've changed spark plugs, spark plugs cables, distribuitor cap and rotor and still having the same issue, by the way I don't have the check engine light on don't know if it doesn't work. I'll appreciate all the advices and help you experts could give me.

Old 04-04-2018, 11:37 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

Welcome to the forum. I personally can't help you but hopefully someone else here can.

Old 04-05-2018, 05:53 AM
BF Veteran
DonL will become famous soon enough

Welcome to the forum. The only thing that I can think of is ur fuel pump is starting to act up or a dirty fuel filter. I've heard some people have issues with the fuel pressure if they start the blazer to quickly, do you wait until the chimes stop dinging?

Old 04-05-2018, 03:17 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by christine_208
Welcome to the forum. I personally can't help you but hopefully someone else here can.
Thank you, greatly appreciate your comment.

Old 04-05-2018, 03:20 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by DonL
Welcome to the forum. The only thing that I can think of is ur fuel pump is starting to act up or a dirty fuel filter. I've heard some people have issues with the fuel pressure if they start the blazer to quickly, do you wait until the chimes stop dinging?
No, once I put the key on the switch I turn it on but it's when starts to act up so I need to yo turn it off an on.

Old 04-07-2018, 11:54 PM
Keystone40 is on a distinguished road

After you turn the key on (but before attempting to start), listen for the electric fuel pump in the tank near the rear driver side wheel. You should hear it buzzing. That won't mean its working completely, but if you don't hear it you'll know its not.

Old 04-08-2018, 11:07 AM
Starting Member
perumotors1369 is on a distinguished road

I would check the fuel pressure. Some of these don't get to the proper 'plateau' until like 3-5 seconds. Or you could key on then off for 10 seconds for 2-3 times to see if the proper pressure is achieved..so..for no cost (except for the tool or you might have or know someone whom does) check the fuel pressure or..key in on (don't start) for the duration of fuel pump energization (approx 2 seconds) then key off for 10 seconds..do this 3 times then start...if it starts good, likely a sleepy fuel pump...

Old 04-09-2018, 01:32 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by Keystone40
After you turn the key on (but before attempting to start), listen for the electric fuel pump in the tank near the rear driver side wheel. You should hear it buzzing. That won't mean its working completely, but if you don't hear it you'll know its not.
Thank you for your advise, I hear the buzzing once I turn the key on, I will check the fuel pressure.

Old 04-09-2018, 01:38 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by perumotors1369
I would check the fuel pressure. Some of these don't get to the proper 'plateau' until like 3-5 seconds. Or you could key on then off for 10 seconds for 2-3 times to see if the proper pressure is achieved..so..for no cost (except for the tool or you might have or know someone whom does) check the fuel pressure or..key in on (don't start) for the duration of fuel pump energization (approx 2 seconds) then key off for 10 seconds..do this 3 times then start...if it starts good, likely a sleepy fuel pump...
Thank you for your comment, I have not tried to to the 10 SEC for several times, I will do that, besides I will check the fuel pump pressure since when I turn the blazer off the fuel pump keeps running for about 10 SEC ( more than usual) I think it's filling the fuel lines.

Old 04-09-2018, 01:52 PM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

I'm with Perumotors on the possibility of a lazy fuel pump not being all the way up to pressure after one 2 second pulse, requiring several key cycles to get it to run correctly. Maybe even a plugged fuel filter.

Quick Reply: Hesitation Upon Starting