2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Hey all, strange oil leak. Please help!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 08:01 PM
Patrick3217 is on a distinguished road
Default Hey all, strange oil leak. Please help!!

Hey so I have a 1996 gmc Jimmy 4x4. I have an oil leak that only takes place if the car is running and from the drivers side of the motor. & It is a decent amount of oil as well, I would say about a quart every other week. I cannot find where it is leaking from and I spend a decent amount of time under there when I was changing the tranny filter and gasket... Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Old 08-24-2011, 08:13 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

I BET you its the darn oil filter adapter. follow the oil lines from your oil filter,it runs to a adapter above the front diff,above where the front driveshaft connects to the diff. they tend to leak. Advance auto has the gasket kit for like 3 bucks. Its a royal pita to change.

Old 08-24-2011, 08:15 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

check the oil cooler lines from the block to the remote filter mount then to the radiator from the filter mount.
those lines tend to leak...and when driving are under pressure.
the alum crimps on the lines eventually give and then seep oil at the connections.
an easy but messy fix.

if it is the lines you can do the proper repair = buying new lines.
or the shade mechanic way (what i did) and get some high pressure 1/2" tranny hose and some clamps. you can reuse the connectors at the block and the remote filter.

lots of info...but will give you something to look at.

Old 08-24-2011, 08:15 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

dam the adapter is that far in the jimmy ?

Old 08-24-2011, 08:16 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by warthogdriver
check the oil cooler lines from the block to the remote filter mount then to the radiator from the filter mount.
those lines tend to leak...and when driving are under pressure.
the alum crimps on the lines eventually give and then seep oil at the connections.
an easy but messy fix.

if it is the lines you can do the proper repair = buying new lines.
or the shade mechanic way (what i did) and get some high pressure 1/2" tranny hose and some clamps. you can reuse the connectors at the block and the remote filter.

lots of info...but will give you something to look at.
haha we were typing at the same time. Bet ya!

Old 08-24-2011, 08:20 PM

Hahaha thanks guys!!! The leak is coming down the back of the motor or is at the back of the motor as I don't really see oil leaking from the top.. If it was the rear main would it be leaking all of the time?

Old 08-24-2011, 08:26 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

chris015...yup
beat me by seconds...damn my slow typing

what i would do is wipe down engine and make sure the oil is not spreading from the leak to the back.
it might be traveling backward on the engine as you drive.

Old 08-24-2011, 08:34 PM

Thanks again. I wiped it down and everything when I did the trans stuff. Then when I was in the driveway letting it run I saw the oil dripping from the rear without going anywhere.

Old 08-24-2011, 08:53 PM
BF Veteran

Well,if the adapter is leaking,it'll look like the rear seal is. Take the truck to a car wash and pressure was the bottom and adapter real good. then drive it home,grab a bag of doritos and lay underneath the blazer and stare until u see the leak. lol

Old 08-24-2011, 08:55 PM

Hahahaha. thanks.. Looks like I have a weekend project.

Quick Reply: Hey all, strange oil leak. Please help!!