2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

High fuel trims, and drivability problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2020, 12:31 PM
Beginning Member
chuey_316 is on a distinguished road

I don't believe my scanner will let me change the data rate, but I've changed the measurement settings to metic now though to keep from having to convert the MAF measurement.

The tabular data needed would be from the atgtraining link correct? I'm going to try to get that this weekend when I should hopefully have some free time.

I can capture graphs for all pids, but can only view 2 at a time. The scanner does support freeze frame. Just still getting used to how it works, as I've only had it a short period.

Last edited by chuey_316; 12-22-2020 at 12:52 PM.
Old 12-22-2020, 01:40 PM
BF Veteran
GeorgeLG will become famous soon enough

By tabular I mean just listing data points when a graph or live data is not necessary.

George

Old 12-22-2020, 03:03 PM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by chuey_316
I'll definitely look into getting one of those. Thanks.
These are Android apps. If you do iPhone, Dash Command has a version. Iphone uses a WiFi OBD2 adapter, Android phones use a Bluetooth OBD2 adapter. Don't get anything but the BAFX OBD2 adapter as sold on Amazon (bluetooth or Wifi) as quality/scan speed varies widely. Dash Command and Car Gauge Pro both will read Cam Sensor Retard. Torque Pro will not, but is very nice interface and is easy to use. Car Gauge Pro/Car Diagnostic Pro doesn't do enhanced PIDs on 96-97 Blazers, but does the most on all the other 2nd generation years including reading ABS, SIR, HVAC, etc codes. Unfortunately Car Gauge Pro has many unfiltered PIDs showing that will not work and is more difficult to navigate than the others. Dash Command makes you buy enhanced PIDs for each vehicle at $10/pop but works great on all years. If you have a recently made Android phone, definitely get Car Diagnostic Pro instead of Car Gauge Pro as it will not work on the latest and greatest Androids. I have all three and find benefits to each. I also have Scan XL Pro for Windows that uses a USB OBD2 adapter and HP Tuners also for Windows. Scan XL Pro doesn't anything more than Dash Command (made by same company) but you don't have to buy PIDs for each vehicle. HP Tuners has bidirectional control and will do crank relearns, injector balance tests, control transmission, etc.

The best all-in-one solution I have found is a Chinese hand held scanner that does it all (except good graphing) from crank sensor relearn to brake bleeding and even 4WD TCCM control/positions. Vident I-link 400. Amazing piece of equipment. Looks like they're selling for around $160 now on Amazon. Think I paid $130 for mine in August of 2019. I only dig it out if I need it. Otherwise I use the phone apps. Windows software seldom use anymore. Torque Pro and Car Gauge Pro are kings for plotting sensors over time and for recording sensors while driving.

Last edited by LesMyer; 12-22-2020 at 03:08 PM.
Old 12-22-2020, 03:07 PM
BF Veteran
GeorgeLG will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by LesMyer
These are Android apps. If you do iPhone, Dash Command has a version. Iphone uses a WiFi OBD2 adapter, Android phones use a Bluetooth OBD2 adapter. Don't get anything but the BAFX OBD2 adapter as sold on Amazon (bluetooth or Wifi) as quality/scan speed varies widely. Dash Command and Car Gauge Pro both will read Cam Sensor Retard. Torque Pro will not, but is very nice interface and is easy to use. Car Gauge Pro/Car Diagnostic Pro doesn't do enhanced PIDs on 96-97 Blazers, but does the most on all the other 2nd generation years including reading ABS, SIR, HVAC, etc codes. Unfortunately Car Gauge Pro has many unfiltered PIDs showing that will not work and is more difficult to navigate than the others. Dash Command makes you buy enhanced PIDs for each vehicle at $10/pop but works great on all years. If you have a recently made Android phone, definitely get Car Diagnostic Pro instead of Car Gauge Pro as it will not work on the latest and greatest Androids. I have all three and find benefits to each. I also have Scan XL Pro for Windows that uses a USB OBD2 adapter and HP Tuners also for Windows. Scan XL Pro doesn't anything more than Dash Command (made by same company) but you don't have to buy PIDs for each vehicle. HP Tuners has bidirectional control and will do crank relearns, injector balance tests, control transmission, etc.

The best all-in-one solution I have found is a Chinese hand held scanner that does it all from crank sensor relearn to brake bleeding and even 4WD TCCM control/positions. Vident I-link 400. Amazing piece of equipment. Looks like they're selling for around $160 now on Amazon. Think I paid $130 for mine in August of 2019. I only dig it out if I need it. Otherwise I use the phone apps. Windows software seldom use anymore.
The Yoda of cost effective scanner solutions for Blazers. Impressed I am.

George

Old 02-18-2021, 12:52 PM
Beginning Member
chuey_316 is on a distinguished road

Sorry it's been so long with no update. I started my new job and the hours were pretty crazy, then the weather got nasty, and now my GF's Envoy is down, and I'm getting ready to disassemble half of the front end to replace a $15 seal due to a hidden bolt that turns into a week long job to take care of. Gotta love the engineers that design these things. Just one thing after another lately.

The truck was doing ok, just still had the occasional stutter some days during the 1st minute or two of driving. I popped the hood one morning while it was acting up, and was able to see arching inside the cap when the engine was revved. I Finally had a little downtime today, and the weather isn't too bad, so I just put in a new ACDelco cap and rotor. Went for a drive and everything was smooth. I'm fairly certain that I need to replace the distributor as well. It seems to have too much rotational play. I'll check back in after I run it for a bit, and let everyone know how it goes.

Only thing I still have at this time is 2 codes for the 02 sensor that was replaced. Mileage is decent though. I avg around 19mpg on the hwy, and have seen as much as 23mpg at times. If everything goes as planned, I'll have a few days off next week, and will be able to test, and trace the wiring to the 02.

Last edited by chuey_316; 02-18-2021 at 02:04 PM.