Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

p0401 code

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 08:08 PM
Beginning Member
fahzie is on a distinguished road
Default p0401 code

i scanned my truck today and i got the code p0401, when i look in the freeze frame i get..

short term fuel trim 1 2.3%
long term fuel trim 1 15.6%
short term fuel trim 3 16.7%
long term fuel trim 3 7.0%

fuel system 1 clsd
fuel system 2 N/A

then it says speed 49,, i get that part and the RPMs,, but whats all that fuel stuff mean? sorry if its a stupid question, just dont know.
i got a new spider set up, and the egr was cleaned out but about a month before the injection was done so i was thinking that could be the problem, that the carbon got it all clogged up again. its running like a champ, maybe a little stutter when im really on it, but it just keeps giving me that code.
any help would be a life saver.. thanx

Old 09-23-2009, 08:19 PM
reelbroke2 is on a distinguished road

P0401= Exhaust Gas Recirculation Flow Insufficient Detected

Old 09-23-2009, 11:44 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

yeah, it sounds like it might be clogged up again, or it's malfunctioning. when you last had it out, did you inspect the passage to see how clogged that was?

Old 09-24-2009, 05:00 AM
Beginning Member

It was really bad, I needed a pick to clean out the screen. We clean as far as we could see without really taking everything apart.

Old 09-24-2009, 08:59 AM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by fahzie
It was really bad, I needed a pick to clean out the screen. We clean as far as we could see without really taking everything apart.
was that in regards to the distributor, or the EGR & passageway for it?

Old 09-24-2009, 07:48 PM
Beginning Member

it was the EGR that i cleaned,,, and something crazy,, today when i left work the SES light went out. i hooked up the scanner to it when i got home and it passed everything, no codes in the computer. could this be because it went through the drive cycle and was ok so the light went out?? im hoping that it doesnt come back on, but i really feel that it will. any thoughts?

Old 09-24-2009, 10:03 PM
BF Guru

the code wasn't even i the history? that is weird. maybe that was what was hangging the system up.

Old 09-25-2009, 05:36 PM
Beginning Member

yeah its trippin me out!! do you think i should still take the EGR apart and clean it? thats a job i dont really wanna do if i dont havta,,, but it is puttering a bit. nothing crazy but i hear it a little at idle, or when im stopped for light or whatever.

i love this headache of a truck!!

Old 09-25-2009, 10:07 PM
BF Guru

Originally Posted by fahzie
i love this headache of a truck!!
that's why i put that in my sig.