2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Horrible gas milage- 2001 Jimmy 7.6 MPG

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 12:59 AM
turbozeke418 is on a distinguished road
Default Horrible gas milage- 2001 Jimmy 7.6 MPG

I recently purchased a 2001 GMC Jimmy SLE with 140k miles. I filled it up and within 82 miles, the low fuel light came on. I filled it again and it took 10.7 gallons. I've driven it another 30 miles and the it's used 1/4 tank of fuel. The engine light comes on occasionally and then goes off for a few days. There has to be something wrong here. I'm not familiar with GM's at all. Most of my vehicles are german and diesels without sensors ect. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-06-2015, 03:21 AM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road

Need to pull the code and start from there.
Probably a leaking fuel injection spider or fuel pressure regulator.
Any information as to when tune-up parts were replaced last? If original, then they need to be replaced. Also need to check wear/looseness of the distributor bushings...if not already replaced, then likely will need to be.

140K on a 2001 is low miles, but time also takes its toll on parts.

Again, pull the code and start there. Running the rich will take out the cats in a hurry. Suggest not driving it until fixed.

Good luck and let us know what you find out.

Old 03-06-2015, 03:39 AM

OK definitely will. I'll have to wait when I have off one day to take it to my buddy's shop so I can find out what codes it might be throwing. Is there any way like in my german cars to pull the codes on the display or just by an actual reader?

Old 03-06-2015, 06:33 AM
Starting Member
perumotors1369 is on a distinguished road

actual reader..Jerry

Old 03-07-2015, 05:50 PM
Starting Member
ntjoe is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by turbozeke418
OK definitely will. I'll have to wait when I have off one day to take it to my buddy's shop so I can find out what codes it might be throwing. Is there any way like in my german cars to pull the codes on the display or just by an actual reader?
You can go to advance auto parts, auto zone, or o'reileys and they will pull the codes for you as well. The codes should be stored and that can give you an idea of what is going on and what you need to fix.

Old 03-10-2015, 10:37 PM

I took it to a local auto store and they hooked up a code reader. There were 16 codes. The one's I was concerned with were crankshaft position sensor, idle air control, mass air flow, and there were a few others. I took it to my local shop- certified auto in Howell, NJ and they always treat me well. They hooked it up with an actual computer, did some more diagnosing and realized that there is a snorkel type thing attached to the intake that was blocked. They repositioned it, reset the codes and so far it's running perfectly. If this was the fix, it's definitely a win for me because they didn't even charge me to look at it. Really good guys!!

Old 03-11-2015, 08:46 AM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by turbozeke418
I took it to a local auto store and they hooked up a code reader. There were 16 codes. The one's I was concerned with were crankshaft position sensor, idle air control, mass air flow, and there were a few others. I took it to my local shop- certified auto in Howell, NJ and they always treat me well. They hooked it up with an actual computer, did some more diagnosing and realized that there is a snorkel type thing attached to the intake that was blocked. They repositioned it, reset the codes and so far it's running perfectly. If this was the fix, it's definitely a win for me because they didn't even charge me to look at it. Really good guys!!
Kudos to your local shop! Treat these guys well! Probably most of the other codes were set when the previous owner or previous shop was jacking around trying to fix the problem. Probably why the vehicle was sold. You may have come out of it smelling like a rose! Good luck and best wishes.

Les

Old 03-11-2015, 12:17 PM
Starting Member
dobyken is on a distinguished road

I would think that a Pizza lunch for that shop is in order.

Originally Posted by Lesmyer
Kudos to your local shop! Treat these guys well! Probably most of the other codes were set when the previous owner or previous shop was jacking around trying to fix the problem. Probably why the vehicle was sold. You may have come out of it smelling like a rose! Good luck and best wishes.

Les

Old 03-11-2015, 01:09 PM
Starting Member
Tuna is on a distinguished road
Default "snorkle type thing"?

Hey guys -
What do think the "snorkel type thing attached to the air intake" is?
I mean: What is it's actual designation? How would re-positioning it improve MPG, unless it was plugged or blocked? Anyone got a picture of this thing?

Old 03-11-2015, 02:22 PM

They said it was something that was kinked in the air intake system and it wasn't getting the proper air flow. I'll try to find out exactly what they were talking about. Not sure if the mpg issue is fixed, but it starts with no issue, idles perfectly, and drives without any issue as of now. I'll keep you posted about when I have to fill it up again.

Quick Reply: Horrible gas milage- 2001 Jimmy 7.6 MPG