2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

I Hve an Unusual Electrical Problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007 | 07:45 AM
hastys is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I Hve an Unusual Electrical Problem

First post! Please help... I have a 1996, 4dr, 4WD, ATS-10 Blazer with ~198000 miles on it. My unusual problem occurs at fuse #4 (gauges). I have torn the front dash area and instrument panelsout to the point of my comfort looking for a short, just to find nothing. My symptoms are simple;Brand new 10A fuse in slot #4. Put truck in gear (w/o mashing acceleration pedal)fuse still good. Turn headlights on, fuse still good. Combinination of truckin gear (w/o mashing acceleration pedal)and headlights on, fuse still good. Head lights on and truck in gear with acceleration, fuse blows. Any ideas? I don't know how to use a volt meter, I don't have a repair manual, and I am not that great mechanically (but I can get the job done it just takes me longer). I am frugal though. Is this an easy fix?

Old 12-05-2007 | 09:17 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: I Hve an Unusual Electrical Problem

This sounds like your gauge cluster is bad. If I have time tonight I will look up the wiring tied to that fuse and see what it could be...

I would first try to get a used cluster from the wreckers and swap that in. If the mileage on the new cluster is different, you will have to file a mileage variance with your local DMV to stay nice and legal.

Old 12-05-2007 | 10:20 AM

Well I took apart the instrument panel revealing the actual instrument cluster, but couldn't get the cluster out from behind the dash. I am not sure how to do that. Any ideas on that? Mybe a step by step tutorial?

Old 12-07-2007 | 09:33 AM

*BUMP*

Old 12-11-2007 | 05:47 AM

I need help removing the instrument cluster to inspect connections or loose wires. Any help?

Old 12-13-2007 | 07:57 AM

Someone PLEASE help.

Old 12-18-2007 | 07:55 AM

BUMP

Old 12-18-2007 | 08:47 AM
Beginning Member
cks20 is an unknown quantity at this point

By chance did you replace the radio? I bought a car once that blew a fuse occasionally. Turned out the moron who owned it before me cut the wires leading to the original head unit, and did not tape over the wires he did not use. A specific grey wire,which was the power from the head light switchwhich lit up the radio display, would occasionally touch some metal under the dash and blow the fuse. Took a long time to figure out that one.

Old 12-18-2007 | 09:05 AM

Yeah I have changed the radio, but I also used heat shrink tubing and electrical wire on all splices.

Old 12-18-2007 | 10:01 AM
N2BLAZIN is an unknown quantity at this point

The Wire from fuse #4 should be a pink wire and it runs all of your gauges and all your warning indicator lights. It is also directly connected to the volt meter gauge. If your charging system is supplying to much voltage then you could have a problem there. http://www.alldatapro.com/alldata/PR...27589/42027607
Here is the alldata page you need for the wiring diagrams on that specific fuse.

Here is the destructions on the IP cluster

[*]Disconnect battery ground cable, then remove sound insulators.[*]Remove steering column nuts, then lower column for access.[*]Remove instrument cluster bezel.[*]Remove cluster to instrument panel screws, then the cluster from vehicle.[*]Reverse procedure to install, noting the following:[/ol]
[ul][*]Torque instrument cluster screws to 17 inch lbs.[*]Torque steering column nuts to 20.0 ft. lbs. [/ol][/ul]

Quick Reply: I Hve an Unusual Electrical Problem