2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

I need help please!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2010 | 04:51 PM
|
problem_child_97 is on a distinguished road
Unhappy I need help please!!!!!!

ok to start off i have a 97 s10, i know its not the blazer but i have 2 of those, i cannot find help anywhere else so please help me with this major issue. it has the 4.3 and floor shifter auto... i have been having trouble lately with turning the key on and no lights on the cluster, i have to push up on the ignition switch itself and it all comes on and even then it has been hard to start/ mostly impossible. i put gas in the throttle body it crank right up an runs fine. i have read many post about this and figured what that could be, thats the least of my worried believe me. when i put fuel in the tb i crank it let it run for a few, cut it off and back on a few times it was good. i waited about 10 or 20 minutes and went back out to finish up some things on the truck and i turn my ignition on and get no check engine light/security light( i havent had a security light since i purchased the truck) well i thought maybe the light blew in the cluster or something(not the deal i believe) i have no spark/ no fuel. i tried messing with the ignition/ get no change. i cut the wires and put them together to see if maybe the contacts where burnt out, still no engine light no spark no fuel. the truck had a few problems i noticed when i purchased it and drove it home, hard to shift out of gears, had to let off the gas to shift or mash the gas pretty good and it would shift ok. misfiring, running rich, etc. got home, went out the next morning and tried cranking it(took forever) finally got it to start and it would run for a min good and then start surging, replaced the wire from battery to alternator( it was bad) ran good for a min and i noticed it start surging again, the idle would also raise on its own. then the problem occured. i desperately need help on this, i dont have alot of money to blow on parts that do not change anything, thats why i ask for someones opinion/help. i have searched this site up and down and cannot find anyone with the exact problem i have. please please please help. i got a new job to start and need my truck. thank you in advance.

Old 12-24-2010 | 06:00 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Sure sounds like a failed ignition switch. There are multiple wires that need to be connected to +12V power for the truck to start and run.

Old 12-24-2010 | 06:22 PM
|

I mean I'm guessing so, I trust you, and I really appreciate the help. I cut all the wires to the ignition switch and connected them to the battery feeds and still I get all lights and crank when I touch the yellow to the others,and still no engine light or fuel/fire. I just wanna be kinda certain cause I have tried about everything I can think and that I have read on here,and I read your ignition article too. Only downside I have is I don't have a voltmeter. Both of mine are broke. But if I bring 8ga wire from battery to the wires, think maybe that may work. I'm just trying to figure it out cause I have to start my job on Sunday.

Old 12-24-2010 | 06:31 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Since you have already cut the wires, you would need to connect the orange, brown, pink/white, and pink wires to the large red wire in the ignition switch wiring. Then touch the yellow wire to these wires to engage the starter.

Old 12-24-2010 | 07:37 PM
|

what about the other wires going to the switch, the small wires(grounds,etc...) i tried connecting all wires like you said and i still get no fire,fuel or check engine light

Old 12-24-2010 | 07:58 PM
Administrator

I can't find a connector view for the ignition switch in your truck, but the newer ones do not have grounds of any kind in them...

I do not think the 95-97 trucks have a passlock system, but if it does, it would be part of the ignition switch as well and would prohibit starting if not properly triggered. This cannot be done by simply splicing wires together.

Old 12-24-2010 | 08:22 PM
|

i have a connector view from my alldata account, it has two small grounds, one black wire and one black/gray wire, one says ground the other says ground(clean) light green and tan are key alarms,and a few others but they dont seem to go to anything, i also have a white wire same size as all the ignition wires, it is where the pink/white wire is said to be, but the connector view also states white at that spot. could it be my v.c.m? that and the ignition are about the same price($95-$113) so if i can get by with running my ignition on toggles and it is the computer then thats not a big deal. i just dont understand the no check engine light issue along with the no spark/fuel. all other lights on the dash come on and headlights and all work. i have all power at the distribution block on the driver fender and seem to have power everywhere else. i have only been able to test for power with a test light,so not sure if it is enough, but some power should atleast give me a check engine light at the run position right? i am completely stumped on this situation. i really dont know what else to do. again thanks for the help so far. but i am hoping we can get thru this for my sake and for future references if someone else happens to run into this problem. the truck is bagged and their is other stuff that i reckon can get in the way, but i dont think it has anything to do with this. i have been racking my brain for 3 weeks trying to figure this out. and it does not have theftlock, i dont believe the 96 or 97 had it, but not positive. but on my diagrams and all over alldata i cannot find anything for theftlock on this truck, its the 4.3 vin x if that may help you any? i can also give you my alldatapro username and password if you think that may can help you? i will pm it if needed, i dont mind at all, and you can use it anytime you need. i just really need to figure this out

Old 12-25-2010 | 09:40 AM
|

update.........

thank god for christmas lol. got a new voltmeter today. put battery back in truck and connected all wires for ignition(left the yellow crank wire off) for power and just checked voltage on my coil pack plug, it has +12 volts on all 3 wires. i didnt get a chance to check anything else as it is freezing here and now started to sleet/snow. but i know their is supposed to be a ground somewhere in that plug right? any help is appreciated