2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Idiot light is on

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 10:25 PM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Idiot light is on

FOUR HUNDRED DOLLARS?!?!? Please clarify on what was done because if it was just oil change plus flush and fill for tranny and coolant than you got HOSED!

Old 09-30-2007, 12:00 AM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

I would agree.
$20 for an oil change, maybe $25.
$80-$100 for a tranny flush.
Wiper blades are like $25.
I sure hope there was more for $400.

If not, never go back to that place again.

Old 09-30-2007, 09:05 AM
TheGuardian08 is an unknown quantity at this point

I used fully synthetic Oil so that was like $80, the Dex-cool flush was around $90, and the tranny flush was $100, $25 for the wipers (2), and the rest was labor charges.

Old 09-30-2007, 09:30 AM
99 Blazer 4x4 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Hanr, where ever you are at you got it good if you can even find a cheap place around here by the time its all said and done out the door with just a lube, oil and filter your talkin' like $45 minimum for regular oil. Transmission service just the regular $100-150 with tax out the door. The other crap is about the same. It freakin' rediculous my mom and dad moved out of the country and we now live in an overcrowed HELL as I like to call it (the big city)which is why hopefullybefore too long we will be moving backinto the country. Where I am atnow the crime rate almost doubles by the day. Nobodyknows how to drive they are all a-holes oncellphones. I HATE IT and I miss the country cause its like 30 to go muddin'. Iam for the time being an unhappy cowboy out of his element.Oh and whereI use to live if I didn't have time to change my oil I could did it done at a local shop for 15.00 including tax!

Old 09-30-2007, 06:51 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

I moved out of the big city a long time ago. Even then I still did all my own maintenance. Couldn't afford to pay someone else to do it.

I worked in a local service center for a few years part time.
We have three levels of oil change. $20 version was just oil nad a filter, plus top off all cluids under the hood. After that they added things like vacuuming tha carpet and inflate tires and stuff.

Tranny flush was $80.

We didn't do coolant flushes.

Wiper blades are like $10 each, for the good ones, plus intallation labor, $5.

It cost $.50 to change the air filter if it was done during the oil change and it was part of the free inspection we did during the oil change.

I live in the Peoria, IL. area. In the middle of corn fields. We'll not any more, havest has been going on this past couple weks, and the fields are pretty empty now. Now the harvest festivals are kicking into full swing. [sm=alcoholic.gif]

Old 10-01-2007, 03:34 PM
TheGuardian08 is an unknown quantity at this point

yeah i wish i had the equipment to do my own maintence, would be a lot cheaper

Old 10-03-2007, 06:23 PM
BF Veteran

It took a long time to gather the tools I have now. I started with a very basic set, did simple things at first. Oil changes, light bulbs, water pumps, etc. As time progressed and the maintenance items got more involved I bought the tools I needed to do the task. It was cheaper to buy the tools then it was to pay the labor for someone else to do it. Sure neither were in the budget, but the tools were cheaper then labor, and as time wore on I needed less and less tools.

When I had to buy tools I bought them by the set.
For example I needed deep a well socket, I would buy a whole set of the most common sizes, and made sure the size I needed was in it. If it wasn't in the basic set I compared the cost of the set with the size I needed to the basic set, plus the one additional tool.
Check garage sales and auctions too. Its a good way to buy name brand tools for cheap. I like Craftsmen because it doesn't matter where I bought the tool, I can exchange it at any Sears store, and Sears stores are easy to come buy in most cities. Not like the trucks tool vendors, vendors that sell out of hte back of a truck. I never seee them, so exchancing a Snap-On wrench for me is not worth the hassle.