2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Idler pulley bolt needed for 2001 blazer

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 04:59 PM
Starting Member
BlazerJay103 is on a distinguished road
Default Idler pulley bolt needed for 2001 blazer

i have a 2001 2door, 4.3l v6 blazer, and they other day the belt fell off and we noticed that the idler pulley and its bolt were missing..
we called autozone and they have an idler pulley but my problem is it doesn't include the bolt to attach it...

so i can get the idler pulley but i can't find where to purchase the bolt for attachment, and i cannot find any information about the bolt when i search the web, can anyone tell me where to locate the idler pulley bolt, or if i can purchase a bolt from a hardware store? if so do you know the size and the length of the bolt required?

Old 01-13-2012, 05:08 PM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

Posting the same question across multiple forums is prohibited. Please pick the most appropriate forum and post once there. Your other identical thread will be deleted and this one will stay.

Old 01-13-2012, 05:38 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Bad news is I searched rockauto and Dorman and dont find it.

Here's the good news. That identical idler pulley is in hundreds of different cars at your local junkyards. Turns out I have 2 fords and two chevy's all with that same idler.. ie, every car I own.
While that doesnt guarantee the bolt threads are the same, it's a pretty good sign.

NAPA stocks a much better selection of fasteners like this than Autozone will

Old 01-13-2012, 05:40 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by TripleBlackBlazer
Posting the same question across multiple forums is prohibited. Please pick the most appropriate forum and post once there. Your other identical thread will be deleted and this one will stay.
my bad im new to this site and im really desperate for help on this one, so sorry for trying, but can someone please reply with something helpful and not on what i did wrong (i will delete this thread, but i thought this site for for blazer information, not for politically correct enforcement)

Originally Posted by pettyfog
Bad news is I searched rockauto and Dorman and dont find it.

Here's the good news. That identical idler pulley is in hundreds of different cars at your local junkyards. Turns out I have 2 fords and two chevy's all with that same idler.. ie, every car I own.
While that doesnt guarantee the bolt threads are the same, it's a pretty good sign.

NAPA stocks a much better selection of fasteners like this than Autozone will
thanks, it seems like i can find the bolt for every other vehicle but a blazer lol, so im hoping like you said, that the bolts maybe the same size! we called one junkyard and they said we couldnt just take the bolt cuz theyd want to sell the whole engine

Last edited by swartlkk; 01-13-2012 at 06:20 PM. Reason: *Combining Consecutive Posts* - Please use the multi-quote feature to respond to quote multiple people in one post.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:10 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Junkyards or the dealer would be your best bet. The last bolts I needed were for the front hub on my Tahoe after finding out that the previous owner had rounded a few off. Called up the local Chevy dealer who had them in stock. Two bolts out the door for a total of $6 10 minutes later. Couldn't beat that.

I'm trying to see if I can find the dealer PN for you. Be back in a few...

Originally Posted by BlazerJay103
my bad im new to this site and im really desperate for help on this one, so sorry for trying, but can someone please reply with something helpful and not on what i did wrong (i will delete this thread, but i thought this site for for blazer information, not for politically correct enforcement)
Yeah and roads are for driving, but you still get pulled over when you do something wrong. Being new and/or in a hurry are not very good excuses on the road nor are they here so it's best to familiarize yourself with the rules so as to keep out of the cross-hairs. The rule you tripped over is pretty universal across internet forums in general.

*EDIT* - Couldn't find the part number or even length/thread specs on it. I did find that it needs to be torqued to 37ftlbs.

Old 01-13-2012, 06:24 PM
BF Veteran

thanks, it seems like i can find the bolt for every other vehicle but a blazer lol, so im hoping like you said, that the bolts maybe the same size! we called one junkyard and they said we couldnt just take the bolt cuz theyd want to sell the whole engine
I dont know,of course, how clearly you described your needs but if it were me, I'd bad mouth them whenever you get the chance.
WTH do they get their starters and alternators then?
And I guarantee they got blown/seized and crash engines they cant sell.
Next time, point that out. Not like it's a freaking headbolt you want.

Some of the yards around here used to have that attitude till they just about went under.

Old 01-13-2012, 08:12 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Junkyards or the dealer would be your best bet. The last bolts I needed were for the front hub on my Tahoe after finding out that the previous owner had rounded a few off. Called up the local Chevy dealer who had them in stock. Two bolts out the door for a total of $6 10 minutes later. Couldn't beat that.

I'm trying to see if I can find the dealer PN for you. Be back in a few...

Yeah and roads are for driving, but you still get pulled over when you do something wrong. Being new and/or in a hurry are not very good excuses on the road nor are they here so it's best to familiarize yourself with the rules so as to keep out of the cross-hairs. The rule you tripped over is pretty universal across internet forums in general.

*EDIT* - Couldn't find the part number or even length/thread specs on it. I did find that it needs to be torqued to 37ftlbs.
thanks, ill try to call more junkyards and explain the situation and see if they have any blazer engines that arent complete!
and yeah, ill go over the rules more completely, i did intend on deleting the similar post after i found this forum section but i guess i got busted within 5 minutes lol! its the only vehicle my family has and this happened a few days ago so its important to get this fix as quickly as i can, ive gotten about 10hrs of trying to research this already and was putting my luck on here cuz i know theres knowledgeable, faithful blazer drivers here. ive looked up info on this site before and found it very helpful so today i decided to join, but since i guess im already "in the doghouse" i might just unregister, what do you think?

Old 01-13-2012, 09:39 PM
BF Veteran

thanks, ill try to call more junkyards and explain the situation and see if they have any blazer engines that arent complete!
Get desperate, early 90's ford tbird 3.8L w/o supercharger. I know the idler is the same cusz I got one. If it werent under 20deg out there, I'd swap mine and see if the bolts fit. Mind you the bolt assy might be a two piece..
and yeah, ill go over the rules more completely, i did intend on deleting the similar post after i found this forum section but i guess i got busted within 5 minutes lol! its the only vehicle my family has and this happened a few days ago so its important to get this fix as quickly as i can, ive gotten about 10hrs of trying to research this already and was putting my luck on here cuz i know theres knowledgeable, faithful blazer drivers here. ive looked up info on this site before and found it very helpful so today i decided to join, but since i guess im already "in the doghouse" i might just unregister, what do you think?
No... why would you do that. You're a big boy arent you?

There's only a few major rules to forums:
- Dont double post, Dont update with new post if old one is at end of thread
- name and quote specifics that you are replying to
- post in proper subforums, best as you can determine. And dont tag your questions onto threads that arent related.

Only suggesting because I've run a couple and belonged to a lot of them.

Old 01-14-2012, 07:59 AM
coolasice will become famous soon enough

I believe if you get the pulley from the dealer it comes with the bolt... check with the dealer about it

Old 01-15-2012, 04:32 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by coolasice
I believe if you get the pulley from the dealer it comes with the bolt... check with the dealer about it
Here's what we're talking about, apparently the whole assembly was lost:

Name:  opoBT.jpg
Views: 462
Size:  48.9 KB

I just changed mine today. Note there were two keepers on mine, pry tangs outward with screwdriver. I put one of them back on.

Last edited by pettyfog; 01-15-2012 at 04:38 PM.