2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Ignition Key, Service Engine Light, Engine Quits

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 04:46 PM
Beginning Member
loppy crimp is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Ignition Key, Service Engine Light, Engine Quits

Yep these are all 3 of my '97 Blazer problems. 160,000 miles and still looks good. Just scared of when it will quit running. The "Service Engine" light has been going on and off for a couple of years. I recently changed the PVC valve and replaced a broken 90 degree PCV hose fitting. Seemed to help, but the "Service Engine" light still comes on, but not as often. Car seems to run a bit rougher when the "Service Engine" light is on. That is more a nuisance than anything else. Have changed plugs, ignition wires, distributor cap and rotor and still same problem. Starting to run out of ideas? It will be OK until I have to get it smogged.
The engine has also been quitting from time to time. It only quits for a moment and then starts back up on it's own. It usually is so fast that the engine quits and starts without me even having to turn the ignition again. But all of the lights come on the dash. Scares the hell out of me though. Most recently, I have not been able to get my key out of the ignition after I put it into park. Also noticed that if I start it back up with this problem, there does not seem to be any power to the transmission. At the same time, I also noticed that when starting the engine, it would sometimes try to fire, but would not start? Also have had a few times when I turned the key and nothing would light on the dash?
I am pretty damn good mechanically, but I am pretty well stumped on this one.
I know that these problems are many, but are they all somehow related? All of these problems are intermittant.
Just want to get at least one more year out of the car. 200,000 miles would be really nice. Please help. []

Old 09-11-2008, 07:22 PM
Peru Motors is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Ignition Key, Service Engine Light, Engine Quits

replace the ignition switch and your problems will be history. jp

Old 09-11-2008, 08:03 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

That doesn't sound like an ignition switch issues. Ign. switch problems would mean it would not want to restart, but he's stalling out then being able to restart quickly.

Old 09-11-2008, 08:19 PM
Peru Motors is an unknown quantity at this point

ignition switch-plus it has a feed to the tranny-plus it can have an ses lite along with it(codes would be helpful-plus solidify the solution). Not necessarily on the re-start. jp ps this is what I would do-everyone else can do as they please.[>:][&:]

Old 09-11-2008, 08:31 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

Haha fair enough. And actually the more I read it...the more it could be the ignition switch in pretty much failure. I was thinking ign. switch = security light cut off = no restart.