2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Install Sunroof from scratch

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 08:41 AM
gmiller_79 is on a distinguished road
Default Install Sunroof from scratch

Hello,

I am new to this forum as of today so I hope I am posting in the correct area. There's a lot to soak in here and it will take me a little bit to get used to it.

I am considering installing a sunroof in my 2001 Chevy Blazer 4x4. As of now it is all stock. It is an LS that I've had for about 4 years and I absolutely love it. It has been a terrific vehicle. I am going to begin upgrades here and there starting with items that will increase power and improve gas mileage, but I REALLY would love for it to have a sunroof, so I may do that first after all.

Anyway, there is no sunroof in it now. I want to cut the hole and install a power sunroof. I found a universal electric spoiler-sunroof by WEBASTO for about $350 that looks like it would work as well as a console from a 99 Jimmy that I could replace my console with.

What I would prefer to do is find all the parts needed for the OEM electric sunroof out of a ZR2 or an extreme and install those in mine. Does anyone know how hard this would be to do? Am I better off going with the universal one? How hard will it be to find all the parts I need? Also, does the OEM sunroof come with a sliding cover to block the sun from shining into the vehicle?

Thank you so much for reading my ramblings and I look forward to learning a lot from all members of this forum. Thank you!!

Old 07-04-2009, 09:19 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It would be a LOT of work and even after its installed, it would not be guaranteed to seal up properly.

The best way to do it IMO is to find a vehicle with the sunroof where you can cut the parts out and weld them in. You will not be able to just cut a hole in your roof and drop it in. You will need to get the whole headliner, inner support, outer skin, drains, and all of the electronics.

If going aftermarket, do yourself a favor and have it professionally installed. That way, someone else is responsible for mishaps and leaks.

The sunroof option was offered on any LT (and equivalent GMC trim) truck as well as on the Bravada.

Old 07-04-2009, 03:23 PM
bandidolenny is on a distinguished road

Yep, if you are not 100% confident about doing this yourself then I would look into having a body shop do it for you. This is not as simple as it sounds.

Old 07-04-2009, 04:17 PM
gmiller_79 is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys for the input. I guess I need to find a Blazer with a sunroof and really study it before making my choice. Sounds like I will be going with the after market one installed by a professional. I really don't have the proper tools for it anyway.

Thanks a lot for the help!!