2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Installed New Heater Core - Lost Wipers/Interior Lights/Air Motor - Everything

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 06:45 PM
Beginning Member
James Taylor is on a distinguished road
Default Installed New Heater Core - Lost Wipers/Interior Lights/Air Motor - Everything

Please Help!!

Vehicle: 1998 Chevy Blazer 4x4

Ok so I just spent about 20 hours total time taking out a bad heater core and reinstalling a new one. Put the dash back on and now the following DOES NOT work:

-No Air Blowing from Vents
-Wiper Blades (rear and front) don't function
-Radio doesn't turn on
-Interior lights don't turn on
-Instrument cluster doesn't work (speedometer, odometer, fuel gauge etc)
-Power Locks
-Cigar Lighter

The following things still DO work:
-Left & Right blinkers
-Flashers
-Power windows (all four)
-Brake lights
-Headlights (although they flicker off sometimes--secondary issue as well)

After putting everything back together there are 2 specific wires that are loose (not plugged in) that I cannot find for the life of me where they connect to.

Wire 1) Coming directly OUT from the fuse box located on the driver side panel. I can't find anything it plugs into though, and I believe (but am not sure) that's the major source of the problem.

Wire 2) Located under the steering wheel, left side, deeper into the underside...

Both wires are black, or I should say the plastic case with the holes it has is Black. Wire 1 has 4 separate wires of red, orange, blue, and brown coloring.

Does anyone know where these plugs go into, or at the least, can confirm it is these plugs (or the 1 specific plug coming from the fuse box) that is causing these issues.

I will try to post pictures as well, if that will help. But any comments/suggestions/ideas are REALLY GREATLY APPRECIATED. I went from a Blazer without heat to basically an undrivable Blazer now (no wipers = DANGEROUS).

PLEASE help guys, much appreciated..

Thank you so much.

-James

Old 02-07-2012, 07:04 PM
Beginning Member

Guys, I'm almost positive this (see below links) is the wire that is disconnected for me... anyone know what function it serves (hopefully everything I listed), and where the hell the connecting piece is?

I don't see the connection on my car where it is shown in this picture...

2001 Chevrolet Blazer LT heater core :: 22(a) picture by thenewvintagehome - Photobucket

2001 Chevrolet Blazer LT heater core :: 11(a) picture by thenewvintagehome - Photobucket

Old 02-07-2012, 07:16 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

verify that in run position the associated IP fuses dont have power on either side.. then fish around the extent of length toward center of dash and around the column
A wire is a wire, the black thing is a connecter, together - part of wire harness

This is why it's a good idea to use masking tape and a sharpie to ID both sides all connections.. there's a ton of them and can confuse even someone who has worked on aircraft and mainframes.

Attached Thumbnails Installed New Heater Core - Lost Wipers/Interior Lights/Air Motor - Everything-pwr_ignsw_run_accy_rap_r.jpg  

Last edited by pettyfog; 02-07-2012 at 08:55 PM.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:30 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by pettyfog
verify that in run position the associated IP fuses dont have power on either side.. then fish around the extent of length toward center of dash and around the column
A wire is a wire, the black thing is a connecter, together - part of wire harness

This is why it's a good idea to use masking tape and a sharpie to ID both sides all connections.. there's a ton of them and can confuse even someone who has worked on aircraft and mainframes.
I am a layman, I have no idea what "verify that in run position the associated IP fuses dont have power on either side" means. Please clarify.

Thanks for the masking tape sharpie idea... I'll keep that in mind going forward. Unfortunately, it's too late now.

I'm hoping someone knows what that wire is for and where exactly it connects... seems like a main wire as it's coming out of the fuse box directly.