Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Installed New Heater Core - Lost Wipers/Interior Lights/Air Motor - Everything

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 06:23 PM
Beginning Member
James Taylor is on a distinguished road
Default Installed New Heater Core - Lost Wipers/Interior Lights/Air Motor - Everything

Please Help!!

Ok so I just spent about 20 hours total time taking out a bad heater core and reinstalling a new one. Put the dash back on and now the following DOES NOT work:

-No Air Blowing from Vents
-Wiper Blades (rear and front) don't function
-Radio doesn't turn on
-Interior lights don't turn on
-Instrument cluster doesn't work (speedometer, odometer, fuel gauge etc)
-Power Locks
-Cigar Lighter

The following things still DO work:
-Left & Right blinkers
-Flashers
-Power windows (all four)
-Brake lights
-Headlights (although they flicker off sometimes--secondary issue as well)

After putting everything back together there are 2 specific wires that are loose (not plugged in) that I cannot find for the life of me where they connect to.

Wire 1) Coming directly OUT from the fuse box located on the driver side panel. I can't find anything it plugs into though, and I believe (but am not sure) that's the major source of the problem.

Wire 2) Located under the steering wheel, left side, deeper into the underside...

Both wires are black, or I should say the plastic case with the holes it has is Black. Wire 1 has 4 separate wires of red, orange, blue, and brown coloring.

Does anyone know where these plugs go into, or at the least, can confirm it is these plugs (or the 1 specific plug coming from the fuse box) that is causing these issues.

I will try to post pictures as well, if that will help. But any comments/suggestions/ideas are REALLY GREATLY APPRECIATED. I went from a Blazer without heat to basically an undrivable Blazer now (no wipers = DANGEROUS).

PLEASE help guys, much appreciated..

Thank you so much.

-James

Old 02-07-2012, 06:36 PM
Beginning Member

Oh... forgot the most important part. It's a 1998 Chevy Blazer 4x4

Old 02-07-2012, 07:42 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

sounds like you forgot to connect something

or a fuse blew in the process of replacing the heater core

check the fuses and if there good
retrace your steps

also did you have the battery connected during the process ?

Old 02-07-2012, 08:15 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by xgiovannix12
sounds like you forgot to connect something

or a fuse blew in the process of replacing the heater core

check the fuses and if there good
retrace your steps

also did you have the battery connected during the process ?
the battery was connected for some of it, but not all.

I'm almost positive this (see below links) is the wire that is disconnected for me... anyone know what function it serves (hopefully everything I listed), and where the hell the connecting piece is?

I don't see the connection on my car where it is shown in this picture...

2001 Chevrolet Blazer LT heater core :: 22(a) picture by thenewvintagehome - Photobucket

2001 Chevrolet Blazer LT heater core :: 11(a) picture by thenewvintagehome - Photobucket

Old 02-07-2012, 08:35 PM
Blazeme is on a distinguished road

Hey James I do not see any loose wires in your 2 pics. In the fist pic I see no unconnected wires. In the second pic the hand in the pic is holding the emergency brake release cable and all wires appear hooked up.

Did you hook up all three plugs at the body control module? I am no expert but I think most of the affected items are controled by the body control module.

Blazeme

Old 02-07-2012, 08:36 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

did you check the fuses?

Old 02-07-2012, 08:51 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by Blazeme
Hey James I do not see any loose wires in your 2 pics. In the fist pic I see no unconnected wires. In the second pic the hand in the pic is holding the emergency brake release cable and all wires appear hooked up.

Did you hook up all three plugs at the body control module? I am no expert but I think most of the affected items are controled by the body control module.

Blazeme
Those are not MY pics. Those are pics of the wire that is UNPLUGGED. That wire runs from the fuse fox out... and gets plugged in, to somewhere. That somewhere is what I can't find. I also don't know what that wire does, but I'm hoping it operates all the things I listed that don't work now.

What is the "body control module?"

Old 02-07-2012, 08:52 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by James Taylor
Those are not MY pics. Those are pics of the wire that is UNPLUGGED. That wire runs from the fuse fox out... and gets plugged in, to somewhere. That somewhere is what I can't find. I also don't know what that wire does, but I'm hoping it operates all the things I listed that don't work now.

What is the "body control module?"
to be clear, those pics are pics of how that wire SHOULD look.
in my car, that wire is DISCONNECTED and I can't find the connection to it.

Old 02-07-2012, 08:54 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by xgiovannix12
did you check the fuses?
Yes, all fuses are fine. To have so many things not working seems to suggest it should definitely be the unconnected wire, no?

I have no idea, just using logic, and praying I can just hook up that one wire and it solves everything... but I can't find the damn piece that it connects to.

Old 02-07-2012, 08:57 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

I gave you something to work with on Your OTHER thread about the same problem

But I DO have a rhetorical question of sorts:

If the thing was connected .. and I'm sure it was... and it's of X length; Meant for a connector on another harness of X length.. which somehow got misplaced, then.. hmmm what's the question again?

It seems to me you want us to tell you where you lost it. I told you the mating end travels toward the column and center of the dash

Pull all the bottom panels get on your back with a light and grope around until you find the mating floppy bundle of wires terminating in probaaly another black connector

Last edited by pettyfog; 02-07-2012 at 09:10 PM.

Quick Reply: Installed New Heater Core - Lost Wipers/Interior Lights/Air Motor - Everything