2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Intake gasket replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 11:21 AM
ratrodsare4ever is on a distinguished road
Default Intake gasket replacement

Did my intake gasket today..... It was very overwhelming to have had my engine that far torn apart. It was very easy actually. I've read numerous post on how to do this so I felt confident in doing this task and saving a bunch of money doing it myself doesn't hurt either! for all of you who want to tackle this..... Do it! Just read up on it there's tons of threads on this plus on s10forum.com. Just remember.... I can't say this enough.... Mark the distributor correctly and get the fel-pro gasket set. Anyhoo I just wanted to say thank for the users who has posted about the replacement! Runs great now!!!!

Old 07-14-2013, 02:04 PM
Craig Seybert is on a distinguished road

Just did this yesterday. And please mark the distro! When starting mine now will not idle and backfires a lot. So I must not have put in the distributor correctly.

Old 07-14-2013, 08:44 PM
Karcinagin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ratrodsare4ever
Did my intake gasket today..... It was very overwhelming to have had my engine that far torn apart. It was very easy actually. I've read numerous post on how to do this so I felt confident in doing this task and saving a bunch of money doing it myself doesn't hurt either! for all of you who want to tackle this..... Do it! Just read up on it there's tons of threads on this plus on s10forum.com. Just remember.... I can't say this enough.... Mark the distributor correctly and get the fel-pro gasket set. Anyhoo I just wanted to say thank for the users who has posted about the replacement! Runs great now!!!!
Fairly easy just a lot of work and time. Something to look at is getting the intake machined so it is square and will not leak when placed back on the block.

Craig if you think you put the distributor in off a tooth you should see the SES light come on with an error code. If not check to make sure you have the plugs all all in the correct place.

Old 07-15-2013, 06:46 AM
Craig Seybert is on a distinguished road

Yea, I'll have to go forward or back a tooth. Can this be done without taking everything apart again?

Originally Posted by Karcinagin
Fairly easy just a lot of work and time. Something to look at is getting the intake machined so it is square and will not leak when placed back on the block.

Craig if you think you put the distributor in off a tooth you should see the SES light come on with an error code. If not check to make sure you have the plugs all all in the correct place.

Old 07-17-2013, 07:08 AM
Lev_prav is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Craig Seybert
Yea, I'll have to go forward or back a tooth. Can this be done without taking everything apart again?
Yes, although that's not too convenient.

Old 07-17-2013, 08:30 PM
Karcinagin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lev_prav
Yes, although that's not too convenient.
Like Lev said, yes. Just mark the rotor before and after you pull it then move it one tooth.

Old 07-18-2013, 09:58 PM
Starting Member
Impact is on a distinguished road

I just did mine today. Not too bad, just time consuming. I also have a rough idle that I didnt have before. The check engine light came on for a few minutes then went out so I guess my distributor is in right. Dont have a clue what to try

Old 07-18-2013, 11:55 PM
Toby Hanson will become famous soon enough

I believe that if the distributor is removed there might need to be some kind of relearn procedure for the computer. I'm not entirely sure about that. Perhaps one of our resident factory-trained techs could weigh in on that issue.

Old 07-19-2013, 02:27 AM
Starting Member
Spree is on a distinguished road

I did mine last summer. Used the heavy duty felpro gasket kit and took everything off including the heads. Everything new from there up even head bolts. Didn't have any problems with the distrib. Started right up and ran great.

Old 07-19-2013, 06:34 AM
Starting Member
Impact is on a distinguished road

Thats whats weird. It started right up but a rough idle. As soon as I get the oil leaks fixed I am going to try a test drive

Quick Reply: Intake gasket replacement