2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Intake manifold gasket replacement 2002???

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 01:10 PM
Beginning Member
blanco36 is on a distinguished road
Default Intake manifold gasket replacement 2002???

Hey Guys....

I changed the thermostat on my 2002 Blazer because it was stuck open and would not get up to normal operating temp, changed that and the check engine light went off. And a few weeks later as I get home I smell coolant so I pop the hood to see coolant on the intake and dripping underneath, pretty good sized puddles. Checked the oil to see if any got in there, none in there so that is good. The coolant is coming from the right side and working its way to the left by the thermostat housing. Does this sound like the intake manifold gasket? Any help will be much appreciated.....

THANKS

Old 01-23-2013, 01:41 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

Driver side = right side? (Sorry always confuse) when mine went it leaked along both valve covers where the manifold meet up. It could be intake mani. Did you check hoses? If one has a pin hole size leak it could spray over there ....unlikely but never know. I would clean up the mess and make sure its dry then run engine and watch to see where it is coming from....wouls have to be at operating temp so it may take a couple mins. One way to be sure of source. If it is the intake mani its not a hard job...you can do it at home for around 100.00 ...there is a how to around here. I did my own...took me about 10 hours taking my time.

Old 01-23-2013, 02:04 PM
4x4blazerguy is on a distinguished road

Mine started leaking in the corner by the head & intake ran along the valley lip. I agree check heater hoses I had one of those leak also.

DRIVERS SIDE = LEFT SIDE. You always tell sides by sitting in the drivers seat looking forward.

Old 01-23-2013, 02:24 PM
spittybays

Port and Starboard......this will never be misunderstood.

Old 01-23-2013, 04:30 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

avast....i have coolant on the poop deck!!!!

Old 01-24-2013, 07:22 AM
Beginning Member
blanco36 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the responses....... it is on the drivers side that it is leaking ... I will double check the hoses...... I did clean it all up and when it did get to normal operating temp.... that is when it started to leak and leak pretty bad...
I hope it is a hose...

Old 01-24-2013, 09:32 AM
Starting Member
grizzstang is on a distinguished road

If you haven't done the intake gasket yet I would bet that is your problem. If for some odd reason it turns out not to be I would replace it anyway. It is not a matter of "if" it fails it is "when" and leaving it until it does can be the end of your engine.

Old 01-24-2013, 09:46 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by warthogdriver
avast....i have coolant on the poop deck!!!!
Always better than vice versa

Old 01-25-2013, 06:46 AM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road
Default I just did this on my 2002

Just did this three week ago. Not a difficult job...but there are a couple of tricks to know.
1) Location of hidden bolts to allow the AC compressonr mount to move forward.
2) How to get the air plenum off and then back on.
3) The last thing to re-install are the brackets for the throttle cables.....okay maybe the air duct is the last thing.

There is a really good photo step by step located at:
D-tips

Additional hint for #2 is to use a bit of spray silicone on the new gasket that is not on the link above.

Also good time to replace the rotor and dist cap...since the distributor comes out. Just be sure to use Delco parts....DO NOT USE parts from Wells....I did and the rotor was hitting the cap when I started the engine....parts are JUNK!

Oh and the FelPro kit includes valve cover gaskets....do not order separately like I did....anyone want a set of new valve cover gaskets??...

One last hint...remove the hood....saves on hitting ones head and allows much better visability.

Good luck.