2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

interior lights on and radio turns off

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 09:58 PM
Beginning Member
buck is an unknown quantity at this point
Default interior lights on and radio turns off

This just started happening a few weeks ago..
When you shut the engine off, key still fully in ignition and not opening any doors, the interior light come on and the radio shuts off? I used to be able to listen to the radio for like 20 minutes... the interior lights do shut off after about 20 minutes. It acts like a door is open! I naturally started checking the door jam switches. The driver's one is good but when I checked the front pass side door jam switch there are NO WIRES going to the switch. I looked everywhere with a light and couldn't find the wires. I had the whole dash out trying to find something but nada. I have to use the dome light override button to activate the interior lights other wise they stay on...

thanks in advance

Old 09-03-2010, 06:45 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The front door switches are in the latches inside the doors. From the sounds of it, you have a faulty switch.

Old 09-19-2010, 09:51 PM
Beginning Member

So the pass.side door jam switch is just a "dummy"? So when you pull the outside door handle the interior lights are suppost to turn on? I will dig into the door and see what I find! Thanks.

Old 09-21-2010, 07:01 PM
Beginning Member

The only switches offered are the door lock/window switch or the door jam switch. Is the part you are talking about maybe called something else? Do you have any pictures?

Can someone remove their glove box door and look in there to the right and see if they have a wiring harness going to the door jam switch?

Old 10-28-2010, 11:15 AM
Beginning Member
BAM1369 is on a distinguished road

My dome light and courtesy lights havent work since i bought my truck. Ive been searching on here alot and still cant find a solution. I also check behind my glove boz and same thing there are no wires going to the door jam switch. Does any one know where the wires should be?

1999 blazer 4 door 4x4 LS

Old 05-27-2011, 03:59 PM
Starting Member
Jonathan is on a distinguished road
Default Did you find the solution?

I recently bought a 02 Blazer, and have had the same problem with the door jam switch. I dropped the glove box and noticed that the switch (front pass side) is not connected to any wires. I searched and searched to find them and no luck. Please help if you can, not only does my dome light stay on (unless I use the dome override) but I am unable to go into program mode to program keyless remotes because it isnt registering that the door is closed. Thanks

Old 05-28-2011, 09:39 PM
Beginning Member
dve330 is on a distinguished road
Default Me too!!

I had the same problem today. The stem on the old switch was broken so I got a new one from a junk yard. Then I spent an hour looking for the wires, but no luck. I took the drivers side switch out and it has wires going to it, so I think the passenger side should have wires too. I hope someone can give us a direction to look.

Thanks!!

Old 05-29-2011, 11:19 AM
Beginning Member
dve330 is on a distinguished road
Default I think I fugured it out

The main reason I went to the junk yard yesterday was to get a new passenger side door latch. The plastic on the old one was broken into several pieces. After putting in the new latch, the dome lights work perfectly even without any wires to the door jam switch. The dome light turns on as soon as you pull the door handle, but before you open the door. So, the switch that works the dome light must be built into the latches. If your dome lights stay on, your problem is actually inside the door.

So the question is: why is there a switch with no wires going to it? And what do the wires to the switch on the drivers side do?

Old 05-29-2011, 11:37 AM
Starting Member
Jonathan is on a distinguished road

I looked at several blazers yesterday, and found out that the passenger door jam switch is a dummy, there are no wires to connect to it. The passenger switch is actually inside the door. My problem ended up being one of the back door switches was so corroded it wasnt making a good connection. I cleaned it up, put it back together now everything works properly Good luck!