2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Interior Panel Noise and rattles

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 10:43 AM
Starting Member
DrEaMsTeVe is on a distinguished road
Smile Interior Panel Noise and rattles

Rattles, squeaks, general vibrations from the road. Everything makes a noise.

It's probably due to all the mods and repairs over the last year I've had the vehicle.

My question is this: Is there a definitive way to go about reducing the noise? I don't play my music loud enough to be a factor so its generally road vibrations causing the rattles.

My plan is to get some felt adhesive, new panel clips as well as some screws with bigger bite as the ones under the defroster vent won't bite like they did when I first took them off to repair the heater core. Maybe some lithium grease in between the rear leaf springs may help.

I currently have Monroe sensa-track shocks installed.

Either way some direction and experience from you guys could make this little weekend endeavor more successful.

Regards,

Stephen

Old 11-24-2009, 11:35 AM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

the felt adhesive will make a big difference on the vinyl on plastic squeaks...
I used the loop tape portion of velcro and it absored 90% of the noise. i used it because it was thicker and free-er

if you got the new screw/clips route you should have that bad boy rolling like it's fresh off hte lot again. that way would be the right way, my way was more of a bandaid...

Old 11-24-2009, 12:45 PM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

So you're interior is just like every other Blazer out on the road . Damn cheap interiors with crappy designs always rattle and squeak.
I used some foam tape on my door panels. It reduced the rattle a bit, but it's still there. Some day I'm going to get mad enough at the noise and just screw the panel into the door (with REAL screws..not cheap *** plastic crap)

Old 11-24-2009, 01:32 PM
mr.vls will become famous soon enough

One way I have eliminated door panel noise is to use 3M Moulding Tape. Stick it to one side of the panel and I do not pull the tape off of the other side. Makes a great sound dampener and it is very thin and will stay in place.

Old 11-24-2009, 02:16 PM
Starting Member

All great ideas. Keep them coming as this weekend it's go time! I was fairly certain of the interior rattle as being pretty common. That's why I was hoping for there to be lots of ideas on what you guys have done so far to reduce it. I can't be the only one bothered by it lol.

Old 11-29-2009, 05:44 PM
Starting Member

Update:

A whole lot ta work later and the rattles are all but gone except one or two during bumpy roads. Turns out the dash wasn't seated all the way in from a previous repair and I spent half a day taking everything apart and putting adhesive padding on all squeak points I could find. Definitely did the trick though that center console sure loves to squeak and rattle still.

Old 03-16-2024, 07:29 PM
Gwapo is on a distinguished road

Hello from 15 years into the future. I've got a 2000, and the interior doesn't shut up. One place I'd check is the road repair kit under the rear left interior panel. The scissor Jack's arm flops around a lot. I also seated the center console pieces tighter using 3M electrical tape. Does a great job of keeping the noise down, as well as helping it fit. Lastly, I'd check to see if the shocks on both the rear gate and glass hatch are tightened down. The rubber gaskets on the ball joint connected to the glass are thin as all hell, so they can wear out quick if it's loose at all. I'm eventually gonna replace all the insolation, and replace the interior clips.
​​​​​(PS: If You're having an issue with road noise, CHECK YOUR BUSHINGS. Chevy suspension from 1990-2005 is as cheap as it gets. If your bushings are crapped out, just get new control arms. It's common for them to basically fuse together.)

Last edited by Gwapo; 03-16-2024 at 07:33 PM.
Old 03-18-2024, 10:28 AM
puttster will become famous soon enough

My racket comes from the molding from the B-pillar all the way back. I pulled the stuff off once or twice and undoubtedly broke some fasteners. Now even my new speakers can't drown out the buzzing and rattling. Is there a kit with fasteners that fit anywhere?

Old 03-18-2024, 10:37 AM
Gwapo is on a distinguished road

I'm not super sure. I would try to fit any loose panels tighter, then maybe cushion it with something. For my roadside kit panel, I pushed it into place, taped it up, then stuck my old fabric dash mat into it. The cushion adds resistance and absorbs vibration, while any adhesive would hold it into place. Also, check the rear glass hatch (if you have a 2-Door). It can rub against the weather sealing, and cause an awful squeak.
Quick note: some if my advice is best taken with a grain of salt. I like to do things cheap, quick, and reliable. Usually you only get 2/3, lol. If you've got the budget, splurge on new clips or entire panels. GM plastic is like dry leaves- it cracks constantly.