2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Intermittent Heat

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 12:36 PM
thogbert is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Intermittent Heat

'95 S10 4D, 4WD, 4.3L Vortec, Automatic Tranny, Approximately 110K miles. Coeur d'Alene, Id. (Near Spokane Wa.)

Been having intermittent heating problems for a couple days now. For the most part it just blows cold air/outside temp air. I replaced the T-stat last night and it didn't seem to help. I did find some "Gunk" in the bottom of the L shapped housing for hte T-stat though and contrary to what I was led to believe, there was little to no fluid to leak out when I took the housing off.

The Enging Temp gauge has been getting awful close to "Red-line" and this morning my Check Gauges light came on until the temp dropped a little bit. Looking at some other posts, I may try to do a heater core flush, but I don't know how that would effect the enging temperature (certainly no expert). Also, its about 4 degrees outside so I need to convince myself that it's o.k. to turn on the outside water again...Thanks for any help anyone can give, its cold here and will be for the next several months.

T.

Old 11-29-2006, 12:44 PM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: Intermittent Heat

Your engine will read hot and the heater will be cold if you are low on coolant. Check for leaks at the heater core (carpet area in front of the passenger foot area), water pump, frost (or freeze) plugs, front or rear of intake manifold, radiator or any hose connections.
Make sure you top up the coolant after the thermostat opens.

Old 11-29-2006, 12:54 PM
thogbert is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the Lighting fast reply! Now that I think about it, I had some "Orange" fluid on the floor of the Garage. The other day, it was a little scattered so I didn't really pay attention and thought it might just be some muddy water from the rain we'd had. (I need to be more vigilant when I see stuff like that obviously!). I'll check around the engine for leaks, none on the inside that I can see. I assume that the t-stat will open once the engine termperature gauge gets above 195-200? At that point I'll add the coolant.

Thanks again Chevy Lover!

I'll post when/if I find the problem. I'm sure I'll have more questions....

T.

Old 11-29-2006, 01:59 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like Rob has you in good hands!

Sounds like you have a coolant leak that needs to be dealt with. Post up when you find out where it's coming from and we'll get some more information together to aid in your repair!