2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Intermittent Overheating

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 10:26 AM
Beginning Member
eknox327 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Intermittent Overheating

1998 Chevy Blazer 4 Door Sedan. Took to mechanic and was told Intake Manifold leaking. Had it repaired. Trans cooler lines broke and had them repaired. Transmission rebuilt. Thermostat changed, Coolant flush. This all happened in less than 30 days.

Driving home (less than 20 mintues) and blazer starts to heat up above 210 mark and when I shut the vehicle off its smoking. Waited till morning to pull radiator cap and could not tell in fluid was in their, but it wsa in reservoir. I added fluid into radiator with vehicle running and it took almost half a bottle. Radiator never filled up that I could tell. Ran vehicle for an hour and no overheating. Let vehicle sit for over 4 hours and reran vehicle this time for about 1.5 hours and no overheating. If fact temp needed was a little below normal. Parked car overnight and drive to work, needle rises slowly at first levels off and then starts to tick up towards 3/4 where it stays. I turn off vehicle and its smoking. Dropped off at mechanic again and he drives vehicle and says he cannot get it to overheat. I know as soon as I take this vehicle back its going to overheat on me again.

Anyone have any ideas?

Old 04-05-2011, 10:30 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Have him run a cooling system pressure test. It's something he should have done before giving you the vehicle to check the integrity of his work anyway. Sounds like a pretty shoddy mechanic though so you may want to be very wary of what he comes back with. His screw up very well could have caused other problems that he is now intending on soaking you to repair.

Old 04-05-2011, 10:43 AM
Beginning Member
eknox327 is an unknown quantity at this point

I will see if he has done that. I have several recommendations from siblings and friends that does excellect work. He in fact did a transmission rebuild on water pump replacement on my wifes sebring and have never had a problem with it for over 1.5. Family business for over 50 years. Hopefully he finds it. He says he is going to drive it longer. I will update post.