General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intermittent engine problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2006, 02:17 AM
md95 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Intermittent engine problems

I’m a newby so sorry if the protocol is wrong.

I have a 95 Blazer. 4.3 l with 155 k. I recently have had a couple of intermittent problems which are show-stoppers. I have no idea if they are related. I bought the truck with 15 k and its been a great truck up to this point so it doens't owe me a thing. All I want is reliablity.

I went to start the truck the other day and the engine would start but when I released the key the engine would quit. Ended up nursing the accelerator to finally get the beast started and it hasn’t done it again.

The second issue happened today. After driving for 30 minutes with a couple of errand stops I parked the truck and the entire electrical system died. Battery was fine. I initially thought a fuseable link. Search around. Checked the battery. Checked connectors. Found nothing. And miraculously…..the lights came back on.

I hate intermittent problems because it’s really hard to chase down when it’s working. But can anyone recommend where to look?

Old 04-12-2006, 08:26 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Intermittent engine problems

Do you have the original AC Delco battery? If so, pull the cables off of the battery. Be careful with the positive terminal. AC Delco's are quickly gaining a reputation for the positive terminal to corrode off INSIDE the battery. I had this happen on the battery in my Bravada. First one lasted for 3 years (before I bought it), second one only lasted for alittle over 18 months. Both had positive post problems.

Your problems definitely sound like EXACTLY what I was experiencing when my positive post finally gave way. When I went to pull my cables off of the battery, the whole post came out of the front of the damn thing and battery acid poured out over everything. The reason why your truck would not run after you got it started is because of the intermittent connection at the battery. Right after you started the truck, the connection probably went to crap and since the alternator wasn't up to voltage, there was nothing to sustain the ignition system. The other issue is exactly what happened to me. I replaced the battery that day!

Pull the cables off and report back with their condition. Also, you could have it tested at your local Advanced/Autozone/Napa/etc for free.

Old 04-12-2006, 10:44 PM
DINO55 is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: md95

I’m a newby so sorry if the protocol is wrong.

I have a 95 Blazer. 4.3 l with 155 k. I recently have had a couple of intermittent problems which are show-stoppers. I have no idea if they are related. I bought the truck with 15 k and its been a great truck up to this point so it doens't owe me a thing. All I want is reliablity.

I went to start the truck the other day and the engine would start but when I released the key the engine would quit. Ended up nursing the accelerator to finally get the beast started and it hasn’t done it again.

The second issue happened today. After driving for 30 minutes with a couple of errand stops I parked the truck and the entire electrical system died. Battery was fine. I initially thought a fuseable link. Search around. Checked the battery. Checked connectors. Found nothing. And miraculously…..the lights came back on.

I hate intermittent problems because it’s really hard to chase down when it’s working. But can anyone recommend where to look?

Also check the neg battery cable going to the frame for corrosion. You could have a Possible bad ignition switch also. Has the truck ever died out on you while you were driving it for no reason at all, then restarts fine?

Old 04-14-2006, 01:49 PM
md95 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the reply.

Had the battery and cables checked. Battery failed. Replaced the battery and cleaned the cables. Hopefully its fixed.

Thanks again for the help.